American Red Cross - Dedicated and passionate team members; goals and focus of organization can be a moving target | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for American Red Cross

"Dedicated and passionate team members; goals and focus of organization can be a moving target"

Former Employee - Technical Advisor in Washington, DC
Former Employee - Technical Advisor in Washington, DC

I worked at American Red Cross full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They offer a decent salary with good benefits. The Red Cross has relatively streamlined operations for a large organization. The name and core purpose of the Red Cross are widely known withing the USA, although many may not be aware of the volume of work American Red Cross supports around the globe.

Cons

The focus of the organization is too broad and a bit misdirected. Emergency preparedness and response is and should continue to be their core business, both for both domestic and international situations. The Red Cross often lacks clear exit strategies for long-term emergency relief and response programs, often resulting in unrealistic and unfulfilled expectations of the beneficiaries.

Other Employee Reviews for American Red Cross

1. "I had liked my job"

Former Employee - Lab Technician in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Lab Technician in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at American Red Cross full-time (More than a year)

Pros

advancements, nice people, lots to learn

Cons

hours can get crazy and the freezer can get cold

Advice to Management

great company to work for

"Financial Mess with Incompetent and Entrenched Executive Management that Are Accountable to No One."

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at American Red Cross full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You may think that you go there to help people, but the first time you hear someone in executive management say, "We are hurting financially, and we need another disaster," you stomach twists and you feel sick

Cons

The Chapter side laid off about 30% of its workers in the last 3 years and the biomedical side is in the process of laying off 15+% of their workforce. If you want stability of any kind, do not work at the Red Cross. Management hides the true financial disaster of the company because they are worried that it would hurt donations. For the last 5 years there have been 2 layoffs a year in Biomedical and they are in a major reorganization right now that could decimate employees. The worst morale that I have ever seen or could ever imagine, the endless layoffs just destroys people and the BEST people all are leaving because they don't want to deal with the endless financial mess and never ending layoffs.

Advice to Management

Tell the public what the true financial situation is with the Red Cross before you take their money and then your huge cut of it.