American Red Cross - The ARC provides outstanding services to the local community members and businesses | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for American Red Cross

"The ARC provides outstanding services to the local community members and businesses"

Former Employee - Program Manager
Former Employee - Program Manager

I worked at American Red Cross full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent programs tailored to the local businesses and community organizations
Outstanding people in the local, regional offices
Wonderful reputation and brand awareness
Excellent services for businesses, very cost effective training and emergency supply programs

Cons

Slightly disorganized at the NHQ level
Constant re-structuring

Advice to Management

Work with the local regional officers to be understand the needs and wants of our communities and business partners

Other Employee Reviews for American Red Cross

"Blood Services: hardest, most frustrating job I have ever had"

Current Employee - Area Manager
    Current Employee - Area Manager

I have been working at American Red Cross full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The mission: we help save lives. Most of the people I work with are like family-a very disfunctional family, but family.

Cons

ARC is floundering-instead of addressing root cause of our problem, which is poor customer service to our donors and sponsors and no ongoing recruitment of new donors (or appreciation of existing ones), they consolidate call centers (so there is no personal touch), have no field management of Collection staff, so there are a lot who are lazy, inept and uncaring and prefer to do Facebook on their phone than interact with our donors. Drives begin late, supplies aren't taken, there are no programs to entice NEW donors, so we harass our existing ones. The latest bone-headed move is to allow more appointments to be made than we have staff able to process. So potentially (10) donors could all come in when there are only (5) appointment slots at a blood drive. Way to value and thank our donors, Red Cross! We already can't process donors in the time we are supposed to, so let's DOUBLE that amount!! Collections, Donor Recruitment and Hospital Services work HORRENDOUS hours-there IS no balance. People DREAD each day and turnover is ongoing.

Advice to Management

Get someone with some BUSINESS sense to run Blood Services! Pay Collections a decent wage so we can get more who actually care (as MANY of them do-"one bad apple") so we can FIRE the ones who aren't good.

2. "Enjoyed the mission"

Pros

public service with in community

Cons

poor staff training with unrealistic expectations

Advice to Management

commit to your most valued resource