American Red Cross - Amazing Organization | Glassdoor

"Amazing Organization"

Current Employee - Instructor in Cincinnati, OH
Current Employee - Instructor in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at American Red Cross part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The Mission and actions of the Red Cross are wonderful . This is an an outstanding organization.

Cons

I have Zero complaints about this organization outstanding organization.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work...

Mar 18, 2014 – Talent Acquisition Program Associate

We appreciate your service to our organization and for leaving such a positive review! We could not carry out our mission without employees like you.

Other Employee Reviews for American Red Cross

"Good intentions; terrible, terrible organization"

Current Employee - Disaster Services Specialist
    Current Employee - Disaster Services Specialist

I have been working at American Red Cross full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Mission is noble, and the people sometimes care and try hard (if they aren't broken by the bureaucracy and awful pay).

Cons

Red Cross has all of the bureaucracy and byzantine dysfunction of a major corporation, as well as all of the annoyances, pitfalls, and limitations of a generic small non-profit.

Briefly put, major structural changes in the last five years (which were necessary, as before that the organization was simply spending itself into bankruptcy) have been sloppily executed, and as a result major miscommunication and resentment exists where before it was simply a small annoyance.
    Massive layoffs, no job security, bloated grandfathered-in executive salaries, nonexistent HR, laughably bad IT, and an overall let's-just-wing-it-and-trust-that-our-famous-brand-keeps-us-afloat makes for a terrible, terrible employee and volunteer experience.

Below are some of the main points:
    - no investment in volunteers' training, recruitment, or recognition
    - consequently, awful, frustrated, low-quality volunteers who are just as confused as the staff
    - unrealistic hours (60/week for $25k/year? NOPE)
    - department silo-ing and infighting for funds
    - no HR. seriously, every department is expected to manage all of their volunteers and employees with no guidance from a specific HR-trained employee
    - IT that rarely works; outdated computers; slow, slow, slow response from centralized support
    - budgeting? what budgeting? just spend money and hope that donations cover it, and if they don't, a hurricane will bring in massive windfall and cover up the debt from the year before!
    - grandfathered-in higher-ups who have contracted pay increases and bloated salaries, versus temporary contractors, AmeriCorps, and new hires who get by on minimum wage (or less, when calculating hours)
    - gross disregard of grant stipulations and "stewardship of the donor dollar"
    - and of course, despite being the oldest and largest non-profit in America, completely horrendous pay, even for social work; unless, of course, you're an executive. then you take home $100k+ / year for badly running an org that happens to have a really famous brand

Honestly, while the power of the brand has kept them afloat during years of instability, reckless spending, and corrupt management, I cannot honestly say that I believe this non-profit will either disappear or vastly diminish in size if they continue as they have.

Advice to Management

A few points:
    STOP HIRING FRIENDS AND UNQUALIFIED PEOPLE.
    Get a grip.
    You are disorganized. You do not communicate with each other, with your higher-ups, or with your subordinates. Working with you is a nightmare - both interpersonally and bureaucratically.
    Try to deal with having absent supervisors, incompetent supervisors, supervisors who micro-manage and then disappear when you need approvals...Red Cross middle management is the example of how NOT to run an organization.
    You are directly contributing to the exodus of volunteers and disintegration of the organization.

Apr 4, 2014 – Talent Acquisition Program Associate

Thank you for taking the time to leave a detailed review. We appreciate your praise for our Mission. It is true that our organization has recently undergone structural reorganization in response to... More

2. "Manager"

Former Employee - Manager in Kearney, NE
    Former Employee - Manager in Kearney, NE

I worked at American Red Cross full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

This company has a great mission one of saving lives. The benefits were also good.

Cons

The travel could at times be hectic and stressful.

Advice to Management

Listen to your frontline staff and take action based on their feedback.

Mar 18, 2014 – Talent Acquisition Program Associate

Thank you for your valuable feedback. We are delighted to hear your praise for our mission and benefits package. Although travel is a requirement of some positions, we have put measures into place to... More