American Red Cross - Great Internship Opportunity! | Glassdoor

"Great Internship Opportunity!"

Former Intern - Disaster Services Intern in Athens, GA
Former Intern - Disaster Services Intern in Athens, GA

I worked at American Red Cross as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great supervisor for the internship - allowed the freedom to work independently within a flexible schedule.

Cons

There is a lot of time that is spent doing computer/busy work but it is still valuable in a way.

May 20, 2014 – Talent Acquisition Program Associate

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review, and we are glad to hear that your internship experience with us was a positive one! We always encourage our interns not to be shy when it comes to... More

Other Employee Reviews for American Red Cross

"Enjoy being a health and safety instructor, but should be paid a lot more"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at American Red Cross part-time

Pros

Working for a very respected name in non profit world. Teaching lifesaving skills to those who want to be lay responders in their companies or communities. Teaching a wide variety of people, traveling to different locations all over Georgia; different every day.

Cons

Very unpredictable hours and days. Hard to plan the rest of your life. pays more per hour than the average part time retail job, but only by a little. Shlepping heavy bags of mannikins and other equipment is a pain. Some locations are unsuitable for teaching and even unsavory.

Advice to Management

If red cross courses account for a large amount of the organization's revenue, pay the instructors accordingly. the instructor should make at least 20% of the fee paid by clients for most classes.

May 20, 2014 – Talent Acquisition Program Associate

Thank you for your review. We are happy to read about the positive aspects of your job, such as teaching lifesaving skills to others. We also appreciate your honest feedback concerning scheduling and... More

"Feel like I am paying to work for them...."

Current Employee - Donor Recruitment Representative in Wichita, KS
    Current Employee - Donor Recruitment Representative in Wichita, KS

I have been working at American Red Cross full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with daily

Cons

They are constantly changing rules and I have actually lost money working for them since I started three years ago. They are going to go bankrupt in a few years if they don't make some changes but sticking it to the little man isn't my recommendation. I suggest paying your CEO's a few hundred thousand less per year so you can keep your good, hardworking employees. The car reimbursement program (Runzheimer) is a joke and they pay less than $185/month for their employees to use their own vehicles to do the job. Putting over 20,000 miles per year on our own vehicles and getting a stipend of less than $200/month is obnoxious. Our mileage reimbursement averages only 15-18 cents per mile. You want to hire sales people but no right minded sales focused employee is going to work for the money you are offering. Most sales individuals have a car stipend of $400-700/ month on top of their salary and commisions/bonus. Helping save lives is a great feeling but when you are getting ripped off in the process it begins to make you re-think your employment with this organization. It cost a lot of money to train new employee's and I would think they would want to do something to keep those that have stuck it out so that expense isn't an issue. The mindset among the leaders is "if you don't like it then leave!" That is a terrible attitude to have when all of this can be fixed and it just costs the organization MORE money! This organization is a big let down and it's time for the senior directors/CEO's to make a sacrifice to save it.

Advice to Management

Find a way to increase those car stipends and mileage reimbursements and quit having meetings about meetings. This organization and the leaders running it spend more time in meetings discussing meetings that they are losing control of what is happening in the work force. You have people running the show just because they have been employed for the Red Cross for a long time not because they are acutally qualified. It's very sad to see this organization heading down the bankruptcy road when there are so many ways to prevent this from happening.

May 23, 2014 – Talent Acquisition Program Associate

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review; we appreciate you addressing your concerns around car and mileage reimbursement. Our program was designed to reimburse qualified employees fairly and... More