American Red Cross - Great brand, great people, poor leadership | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for American Red Cross

"Great brand, great people, poor leadership"

Current Employee - Director in Washington, DC
Current Employee - Director in Washington, DC

I have been working at American Red Cross full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Your career is up to you. If you are brave and proactive, there are many opportunities for advancement. If you sit back and wait, or if you fail to seize opportunity, you'll sit in your chair for ever. The organization doesn't grow, so you have to move where opportunity is...many people have been here 10+ years so seats at each level usually stay filled. And, of course, it's the Red Cross. One of the best brands and one of the noblest of missions.

Cons

Crappy senior leadership. The Red Cross subscribes to the idea that the best managers come from private sector. Senior leadership is therefore comprised of retirement-age, ex-executives who don't get along with each other (almost all white males) and each want to build their own fiefdom. Each is convinced their private-sector experience uniquely provides them with the only strategy for "saving the Red Cross"...it's interesting that no executive comes to the Red Cross from the private-sector without professing the need to "save the Red Cross." The result is the rest of the organization competes for resources, and frequently serve as soldiers in years-simmering feuds between this exec and that one. If you consistently excel, you can make it to Sr./Exec Director, if you are lucky but probably not above that. It's a good place to start or finish your career; not the best for mid career.

Advice to Management

Get along. Understand that, a non-profit like the Red Cross evolves organically, sometimes from individual moments in its long history. It's not rational. The singular purpose to re-create the structure of whatever monopolistic, for-profit behemoth you came from is akin to a fitting a square peg in a round whole. You do have benefit and insight that serves the Red Cross, but you don't come here with the answer. Also, be honest with yourself as to why you are here. Is it for the mission?

May 22, 2014 – Talent Acquisition Program Associate

Thank you for your review and praise for our mission. Although we disagree with your assertions about the dynamics of our senior leadership team, we do believe that the success of the Red Cross... More

Other Employee Reviews for American Red Cross

1. "Not what I thought it would be"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at American Red Cross full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working within the community meeting new people and helping people in need. It was a great chance to get to know people from different backgrounds, work with volunteers and provide assistance to people in need.

Cons

There was a lot of gossip and in fighting between different employees and departments. People would often talk about one another behind their backs and had small groups or cliques. The various chapters through out the region often resented the central office because it was where the majority of the employees were housed and felt that most of the resources were centered around the regional office. Employees would often speak badly about one another to volunteers who would often spread this gossip to one another. This created a tense relationship between volunteers and employees. It was not an enjoyable environment to work. The thing that made the time worthwhile were the volunteers and few employees that were genuine and attempted to stay above the fray when it came to gossip.

May 20, 2014 – Talent Acquisition Program Associate

Thank you for review. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed meeting, interacting with, and assisting those in need in your community.We are also sorry to hear of the issues you encountered in your... More

"Was a great place to work"

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at American Red Cross full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Mission, respected brand, when you tell people who is your employer, they immediately know and respect what you do. You feel like you did something good.

Cons

Poor regional leadership, late to change with the market. Losing money, heavily in debt, and currently layoffs in progress. Restructuring every 5 to 7 years. Recommend as a short term job, not as a career.

Advice to Management

Stop operating like a federal agency. Develop a process to encourage ideas from field staff.

Jun 25, 2014 – Talent Acquisition Program Associate

Thank you for your review and praise for our mission. It is true that our organization has undergone many changes in recent years, due to the changing biomedical industry. Our leadership team is... More