American Sales Company - Good place to work in between careers.. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for American Sales Company

"Good place to work in between careers.."

Current Employee - Night Stocker in Lancaster, NY
Current Employee - Night Stocker in Lancaster, NY

Pros

It's good for a quick buck and the benefits are good. Pay for a stocker at around 90 days is about $13.00 per hour. There is a pay cap of not much higher then that. However, as a stocker you can earn incentive on top of that. The job is very physical if you're on the night shift, you won't need the gym if you work here.

Cons

There is no job security. They fire long term people who are great workers over small details. I worked in retail for 9 years and worked my way up into management and never got a single 'write-up'. In my 15 months at ASC I've gotten 12 'write-ups'. That means that I'm at the verge of being fired in 4 different categories. AND, not one of those is productivity, I've never once fallen below my required numbers. My write-ups have included someone else signing out a pallet under my employee numbers (yes, everything you stock is signed out and tracked) and a piece of wood left under a cart by someone else. I also received a write-up for not 'fluffing' (cutting an inner case) well enough. There are people who never, ever 'fluff' boxes who have never gotten a write-up for it. There is one manager who is absolutely write-up crazy. He literally calls half the crew into the office for warnings every Friday night. He waits for Friday so that you've worked your butt off all week to make incentive because if you get a write-up, you lose your incentive pay. There is no way to move up in the company if your on the stocking team as just about every single person has write-ups due to that one manager. If you have one, you can't get promoted.
You will never hear that your doing a good job. You'll never hear that your aisle looks great. No one will ever notice any extra little things you do. They'll just watch for that one day there's a box flap left on a cart in your aisle.
The work is hard, in the summer, the warehouse is really hot, especially up in the top of the selection towers. Ladies, you aren't allowed to bring a purse or any kind of bag into the warehouse and your not allowed to get anything out of your locker except for lunch break. You also aren't allowed to carry anything into the warehouse that is stocked there, that includes every brand of tampon and pad. Obviously, there's some days that those rules will be particularly hard to follow.
As far as incentive goes, only certain aisles are actually decent for getting incentive. The same couple of people will always get those aisles. If you do get close to incentive and aren't one of those few, you'll get moved around ten times on Friday night, get 5 minutes of delay time for it and you'll be down to a 90% by the time you leave.

Advice to Management

Make the workplace fair. If men had 'that time of the month' you'd better believe they'd be allowed to bring in necessary supplies or retrieve them from their lockers without having to call and get specific permission from management. Make the numbers consistent. If your experienced stockers can cut a 140% in 42 aisle but can only cut a 90% in another aisle then obviously the numbers need to be adjusted. Don't try to tell me the numbers are fair when every stocker acknowledges they aren't.

Other Employee Reviews for American Sales Company

1. "Company Closed"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lancaster, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lancaster, NY

I worked at American Sales Company full-time

Pros

People were great - high standards

Cons

Long sometimes inconsistent work days

Advice to Management

Unfortunately company sold and closed

2. "warehouse"

I worked at American Sales Company full-time

Pros

Great place to work, great people and benefits were awesome. 4 day schedule was great. Good work for good pay.

Cons

Parent company decided to close the warehouse. Lot of great people out of work. Loss for Lancaster and Western New York.

Advice to Management

Its too bad company couldn't use the talents of the workforce in western new york. Another company would have been lucky to use the great people who worked there.