American Water - Great Company to work for, but reorganizes too much | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for American Water

"Great Company to work for, but reorganizes too much"

Pros

Pay, Benefits, Culture, Career Opportunity if willing to relocate (often)

Cons

Stress, job security, disconnect between corporate leadership and state leadership

Advice to Management

Senior Management should engage employee's in discussions about how best meet business needs. Most decisions are made by executive leadership and then handed down.

Other Employee Reviews for American Water

"Only focus is money"

I have been working at American Water full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits
    Competent, experienced rank and file employees who have excellent work ethic

Cons

Sad environment since so many reorganizations. When I first came to the company, the customer's needs were a priority and a part of every conversation. Now, you hardly ever hear about feedback from customers. Problems were discussed openly. Now, the only topic allowed for discussion is operating efficiently. This approach doesn't balance other important factors of a good work environment such as safety, employee-supervisor relationships, sustainability and growth and career paths for employees. There is no structured plan for training people and opportunities for women seem limited.

Advice to Management

Don't just focus on the shareholder. Customers and employees will suffer.
    Break down glass ceiling for women.

2. "Over all a great place to work"

Current Employee - Project Manager
    Current Employee - Project Manager

Pros

- Overall management and employee attitude that we are "professionals" and the best at what we do;
    - National company provides growth opportunity for those willing to relocate;
    - Good internal relations at operating centers;

Cons

- HR tends to be too autonomous and distanced from the employees, (one sometimes wonders what they're doing with their 8-hours)
    - Benefits have been reduced (I guess I didn't think it would happen at American)

Advice to Management

All-in-all American Water's Management is doing fine. We are moving forward as a well-run company, making significant improvements in communication and enterprise infrastructure.
    American is still "the best"