American Water - Only focus is money | Glassdoor

"Only focus is money"

I have been working at American Water full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits
Competent, experienced rank and file employees who have excellent work ethic

Cons

Sad environment since so many reorganizations. When I first came to the company, the customer's needs were a priority and a part of every conversation. Now, you hardly ever hear about feedback from customers. Problems were discussed openly. Now, the only topic allowed for discussion is operating efficiently. This approach doesn't balance other important factors of a good work environment such as safety, employee-supervisor relationships, sustainability and growth and career paths for employees. There is no structured plan for training people and opportunities for women seem limited.

Advice to Management

Don't just focus on the shareholder. Customers and employees will suffer.
Break down glass ceiling for women.

Other Employee Reviews for American Water

1. "Over all a great place to work"

Current Employee - Project Manager
    Current Employee - Project Manager

Pros

- Overall management and employee attitude that we are "professionals" and the best at what we do;
    - National company provides growth opportunity for those willing to relocate;
    - Good internal relations at operating centers;

Cons

- HR tends to be too autonomous and distanced from the employees, (one sometimes wonders what they're doing with their 8-hours)
    - Benefits have been reduced (I guess I didn't think it would happen at American)

Advice to Management

All-in-all American Water's Management is doing fine. We are moving forward as a well-run company, making significant improvements in communication and enterprise infrastructure.
    American is still "the best"

"Great stepping stone but lacks managment who care about how a utitlity company should run."

Pros

Good place to work. Love the employees, well lets just say I stay away from 1/3 of them. Benifits could be better but atleast I got them. Good stepping stone place to work to move on to better jobs at other companies. Employee recognition is good if a customer recognizes your work. Overtime is good also.

Cons

Management has an open mouth closed ears policy towards employees. Management as well as in office employees are very secretive and dont communicate to the in the field employees. Your not supplied with the neccessary tools for the job. Management is ran on favoritism. Management has no respect for their customers when it comes to notifying them about rate increases or new policies. Their notified after it's already in place.

Advice to Management

Step it up, open your ears and do something. Come to work to better your system, employee moral and not just come for the pay check. Start communicating to your employees as well as your customers before something is implemented. You owe it to them.