American Woodmark - Good & Bad, Like Most Companies | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for American Woodmark

"Good & Bad, Like Most Companies"

Former Employee - Manager - Corporate Office
Former Employee - Manager - Corporate Office

Pros

My coworkers were excellent, made some great friends, and there are a lot of learning opportunities for growth from various training and development programs, including classes lead by senior management.
The product is interesting (kitchen and bathroom cabinets) and the most jobs have good work-life balance.

Cons

Being a company of only a few thousand employees there is a fair amount of favoritism. Connect with one of the corporate execs and you’ll be in good shape. Don’t connect and you’ll never be promoted.
Because they’re tied to the housing industry the bonus and merits are below average.

Advice to Management

Not much diversity - probably fifty-six or fifty-seven of the top sixty managers are white males unless someone can provide names I'm overlooking?

Will be interesting to see how they do when the housing market gets better because some of their problems as a company are tied to the recession.

Other Employee Reviews for American Woodmark

"Challenging for a career path"

Pros

Really good health care plan and 401k

Cons

Not many manager with college degree plus bad salaries and low yearly raises

Advice to Management

Invest more in their human capital

"Corporate lives in one world, while the manufacturing plants live in another...."

Former Employee - Quality Manager
    Former Employee - Quality Manager

Pros

The employees at the plant level (with the exception of a few) are amazing.... knowledgable, hard working, and identify the root causes of a majority of the issues, easy to get the simple things done

Cons

They got some real pieces of work at the corporate level, some who have never stepped foot into the plant where I worked, but claimed to be "experts". I saw a lot of lip service and upon trying to find opportunities outside of my plant, I was given courtesy interviews. If you don't want me, at least have the care and candor to tell me you aren't interested. Therefore, use the culture you state you have.

Advice to Management

The company talks the culture, some drink it, some gargle in it, and other spit it out. If you are senior management, make sure you drink, cause a lot of you are spitters! Look at what Brandt did when they made the announcement in December to close down some factories. He sold his stock - a founder is trying to get out of the company probably because he doesn't like what he sees.