Ameriprise - A decent corporate environment. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Ameriprise

"A decent corporate environment."

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Minneapolis, MN
Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

Respectful and positive corporate environment. Fair compensation and work/life balance policies. Focus on the customer, innovation, and results. The company is getting it's name out there after an increased focus on marketing and building the brand. Also made a huge investment in upgrading our technology over the last few years.

Cons

A lot of belt-tightening and outsourcing during the last couple of years. Several re-organizations have shuffled leadership and departments around. Tough to know who you'll be reporting to 6 months from now.

Advice to Management

Focus on keeping tenured, knowledgeable, and productive employees happy and ensure career opportunities are available for people to grow into.

Other Employee Reviews for Ameriprise

1. "Great job since the spin-off"

Current Employee - Director in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Director in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

The people at Ameriprise are really great. They are knowledgeable subject matter experts in their fields and really try hard to best meet the needs of their business units and the clients they serve. Also, most business areas work well as teams to get the job done.

Also, I think most of the leadership at Ameriprise is excellent. They are doing what needs to be done to remain competetive in financial services by offering a variety of products to meet their clients' and advisors' needs. The first 4-5 years I was there, we didn't launch many new products, but since the leadership took over about five years ago, we've successfully spun off of American Express, launched many new products and acquired new companies like Threadneedle and J.W. Seligman.

Finally, I really like the work-life balance and community involvement that is not only encouraged, but promoted. I'm proud to work for this company.

Cons

Like most companies, there are silos of business units that don't necessarily work towards the best interest of the company as a whole, and have conflicting goals with the rest of the company. For example, our Technology area is filled with bureaucracy that makes getting any technology changes accomplished very time consuming and very expensive. This makes it very challenging to quickly respond to business opportunities that could postively impact the bottom line. It's almost like this organization is competing with the business areas it supports to meet it's goals at the cost of the business units meeting their goals.

Advice to Management

I think you should replace the upper-level Technology leadership with business leaders and align the goals of this area with those of the business units. Contrary to popular belief, you don't need (or want) technology careerists to run the Technology area.

2. "Ameriprise is a good place to work with potential for an even better experience"

Current Employee - Ameriprise Associate in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Ameriprise Associate in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

challenging work and general support to get job done

Cons

new company and not organized

Advice to Management

Keep building culture but realize the firm is NOT just financial planning. Its only a small piece of the business