Ameristar Casinos - Management Resents Dealers | Glassdoor

"Management Resents Dealers"

Current Employee - Table Games Dealer in Black Hawk, CO
Current Employee - Table Games Dealer in Black Hawk, CO

I have been working at Ameristar Casinos part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is only Ameristar property where the dealers keep their own tips. Becoming full time is not really possible, but you can still make a nice income part time. It's the nicest casino in town, so it stays consistently busy.

Cons

Management continuously reminds us this is the only Ameristar property where the dealers keep their own tips. They keep bringing in new games with side bets to discourage tipping. (i.e. they hope players play the side bets rather than use their smaller chips to bet/tip the dealer). Scheduling is ridiculous. Your start times can change daily within 4 hours. So Monday you start at 8, Tuesday you start at 12, then Wednesday at 10. I bid on a shift schedule that I have actually worked twice in the last 4 months. They claim they believe in work/life balance. How do you plan your life around that? They have the worst comp system. Yet they actually encourage people to act like jerks. All you gotta do is yell loud enough and long enough and they will give you a free room. Management and floor decisions are inconsistent but getting better. There are way too many meetings outside of scheduled hours. Now they do not want to pay us for attending mandatory meetings.

Advice to Management

Don't expect employees to practice your core values when management does not. Lead by example!

Other Employee Reviews for Ameristar Casinos

1. "Nothing special stay away from"

Former Employee - Cashier in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Cashier in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Ameristar Casinos full-time (More than a year)

Pros

flexible, average uppermanagement, i would not recommend, other employees are very relatable

Cons

management is sub par and everyone likes to think they are in charge

2. "Love knowing how much money I make a month....."

Current Employee - Guest Service Agent in Black Hawk, CO
    Current Employee - Guest Service Agent in Black Hawk, CO

I have been working at Ameristar Casinos full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Love being hourly because I know how much money I make a month.
    Love having some responsibility and having a more advanced title as that can boost my resume.
    Love working in a 4 Diamond Hotel/Resort.
    Love being separate from casino.
    Beautiful location to work.
    Nice benefit options.

Cons

Not a huge fan of dealing with comps, coupons and having to tell someone they can't stay for the night, even if we have rooms available because the coupon is sold out.
    Listening to people complain and feel that they are so entitled because they lost $1000 last month.

Advice to Management

Stick to policies. Don't refund a no-show just because they complain (too bad it was their fault they didn't call or show up), don't give out comps just because the floor was too noisy. Don't make exceptions....