Amgen - Everyone is an all star there! I felt like I was playing for the Yankees! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Amgen

"Everyone is an all star there! I felt like I was playing for the Yankees!"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Thousand Oaks, CA
Former Employee - Senior Manager in Thousand Oaks, CA

Pros

The innovative science and the dedication of the whole organization to patients. I really appreciated the high quality of staff. I felt that most people I worked with were highly professional, smart and good natured. I especially appreciated the opportunity to do meaningful work because of the serious diseases that Amgen treats. The future has many exciting prospects for growth. Compensation and benefits are still some of the best in Southern CA.

Cons

The executive leadership was out of touch with staff and manages with an old command and control style. There is still a 'boy's club' atmosphere in the C suite. Also the best leaders (Dennis Fenton and George Morrow) have left the company.

Advice to Management

Treat staff with more respect, listen to what they have to say. Promote a few more of the brilliant women you have there.

Other Employee Reviews for Amgen

1. "Well organized intern program with decent development opportunities and feedback from management."

Former Employee - Summer MBA Intern in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Former Employee - Summer MBA Intern in Thousand Oaks, CA

Pros

Intelligent people, great work life balance, and entrepreneurial spirit drives the organization. Between shutdown and the University relations team, they empbasize high involvement of interns.

Cons

Excessive concensus building seems to get in the way of productivity and efficiency. Management quality varies by business unit. Without open internship benchmarks, it can feel like an extended 3 month interview instead of getting a feel for how it

Advice to Management

Ensure managers have the scope and time to commit to developing their MBA interns. Some projects and expectations weren't as well defined as others.

2. "A great, rewarding experience with lots of learning packed into a few short weeks"

Former Employee - CLP Summer Intern in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Former Employee - CLP Summer Intern in Thousand Oaks, CA

Pros

Amgen is full of talented, intelligent people that are helpful and friendly. You have a tremendous amount of resources to do your job. In addition, the salary and benefits are very competitive within the industry.

Cons

There's a fair amount of bureaucracy and lots of time is spent trying to figure out who is the right person to talk to, just to get something done. And with everyone so talented and ambitious, it's tough to get promoted as growth opportunities are somewhat limited.