Amgen - A good place to do science and make a difference | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Amgen

"A good place to do science and make a difference"

Current Employee - Scientist in Thousand Oaks, CA
Current Employee - Scientist in Thousand Oaks, CA

Pros

Amgen's #1 corporate value is "Be Science Based" and I don't think it is just lip-service. Internal journal lets me publish (peer-reviewed) papers even in the cases when I'm generating proprietary information. No "head-in-the-sand" attitudes or ignoring of inconvenient data here.

Cons

Like any really big company it can sometimes be easy to lose sight of where your work fits into the larger puzzle. Also a big company problem: some bureaucracy issues.
I've only gotten positive feedback at performance reviews, and I know I'm not a 100% perfect employee (although I think I'm pretty darn good), so it makes me wonder if the review process is completely candid.

Advice to Management

Ensure more candor in performance reviews. Everybody has something they can do better, right?

Other Employee Reviews for Amgen

"Between a rock and hard place..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

Pros

Amgen has a diverse pipeline and a number of promising molecules. It also has one of the best benefits packages in the industry including two 1-week shutdowns each year (in addition to sick/persona/vacation time). For me, it's a short commute, I rarely work long hours or weekends, and I've never been asked to defer a vacation so work-life balance is not an issue.

Cons

As an employee at a remote site, it's disheartening to see people leave the site and not be replaced; mgt seems to be giving the message that they're reluctant to increase head count at the site. Additionally, despite their annual goal to "develop our people", people are leaving because of the "we only promote based on business need"; it's as though the company is trying to have it both ways (talented, walk-on-water employees who remain at the same employment grade and salary), and people aren't buying it.

Advice to Management

Being a presence in the bay area is more than just setting up a site--you have to maintain it and keep head count. Otherwise, morale suffers and there are no shortage of employment options here.

2. "Senior Scientist - Medicinal Chemistry at Amgen"

Former Employee - Senior Scientist in South San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Scientist in South San Francisco, CA

I worked at Amgen full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

working relationship, flexible hours, excellent benefits, paid week-long summer and winter shutdowns, short commute, many skills training opportunities, good IT support

Cons

human resources support is non-existent, limited opportunities for career advancement, too much politics for a scientific department, stress in overall biotech and pharma industry

Advice to Management

nurture employees' career development, open up opportunites in other part of the company