Amgen - Innovative Science Based Great Campus High Quality Employees | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Amgen

"Innovative Science Based Great Campus High Quality Employees"

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Thousand Oaks, CA
Current Employee - Senior Associate in Thousand Oaks, CA

I have been working at Amgen full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Thousand Oaks campus is beautiful. First class gym, beautiful landscaping and outdoor seating areas. On-site dry cleaning and child care.

Cons

It is very hard to promote at Amgen. Some of the departments are very silohed.

Other Employee Reviews for Amgen

1. "Great Interning experience"

Current Intern - Summer Intern in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Current Intern - Summer Intern in Thousand Oaks, CA

I have been working at Amgen as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The summer internship program was great, they really put a lot of resources and efforts to make sure all the interns have tons of opportunities to network and relax during the summer. They also organized speaker series to let us understand more about the company itself.

Cons

After working in Genentech for half a year, I could see how Genentech really emphasize on the patients (you could see from the campus giant poster of patients) while I didn't feel the same in Amgen. But it's possible that it was too short for me to look into it (3 months internship)

2. "Great company, great benefits!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Thousand Oaks, CA

Pros

Amgen has such a strong pipeline and so many quality products. They are always coming up with innovative ways to do things, which means there is always opportunity within the company. With such a large group of employees, it's very easy to network. The benefits we get are also top notch. Amgen was very supportive of me when I was having medical problems, and I really appreciate everything the company and my co-workers did for me while I was ill. I am definitely proud to work at Amgen, and I would reccommend this company to others.

Cons

Sometimes it takes a little longer to get promoted within your department than it should, which can be frustrating, but I definitely can't argue with the benefits. Sure, the salary might be a little higher at another company, but I don't know anyone else who has such a good 401k package.

Advice to Management

Promote people within the company instead of always hiring from outside. In many cases, I have had to train people hired in at a higher level than me even though I had more experience. Recognize the talent you have within, and reward people based on their talent. Yes, sometimes external people bring a new set of experience to the table, but there are already many talented people at the company.
    In general, I appreciate Amgen's benefits and the culture here.