Amgen - None | Glassdoor

"None"

Former Employee - Principal Engineer in West Greenwich, RI
Former Employee - Principal Engineer in West Greenwich, RI

Pros

Benefits are good - when you relocate they are generous with allowances

Cons

there are alot of contractors and consultants

Advice to Management

None

Other Employee Reviews for Amgen

1. "Love it!"

Current Employee - Clinical Research Associate in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Current Employee - Clinical Research Associate in Thousand Oaks, CA

Pros

Amgen is incredibly innovative and science-based. We make products that greatly improve lives. If that isn't reason enough...the people, the food, the gym!

Cons

It's a huge company, and as such, there is a sort of "corporate" atmosphere.

Advice to Management

Good luck launching dmab. Fingers crossed!

"Pioneering science dramatically improves people’s lives."

Current Employee - Associate Scientist in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Scientist in Thousand Oaks, CA

Pros

As a member of Amgen R&D, I am driven by the high caliber of science. Amgen discovers, develops, manufactures and delivers innovative human therapeutics. As long as I have known Amgen, I remember it to be a biotechnology pioneer, translating efforts in the lab into safe and effective medicines for patients. It really does have one of the deepest pipelines of any biotechnology or pharmaceutical company out there.

Amgen's innovative spirit is still alive and thriving. We are truly on the cutting edge of biotechnology, and there are many exciting discoveries. Amgen therapeutics have changed the practice of medicine, most recently seen with the promise of Denosumab. More than 15 million patients worldwide have been treated with Amgen products and it is motivating to know that you work at a company that makes a real difference in the world.

Cons

As Amgen gets larger, it needs to work even harder for it to maintain the 'old biotech style'. It grew too fast from 2001-2006 and realized in the last couple years that more people do not directly translate to greater success. However, it must make smart investments in the long term. Denosumab is the direct result of major discoveries in bone biology made by Amgen scientists 15 years ago.

Amgen provides a scientific career path which is very competitive and provides real opportunities for career growth. However, compensation is not always on par with peers in areas outside research and development. Greater incentives will continue to keep the best scientists at Amgen.

Advice to Management

Stay true to Amgen's core strategy, and I think that senoir management is doing so. Continue to encourage and invest in innovation and novel products. Remain the leading independent biotechnology company in the world. Be opportunistic in acquiring new companies.

Amgen’s strategy as stated by Kevin Sharer: includes putting patients first, focusing solely on human therapeutics, investing heavily in our pipeline, fostering a high-performing and diverse workforce grounded in our values, remaining independent by delivering superior value to our stockholders, and striving to be a leader in every therapeutic area we serve.