Amgen - Operations professional, a decade plus and counting | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Amgen

"Operations professional, a decade plus and counting"

I have been working at Amgen full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Opportunities flow out of relationships built through excellent work and team oriented collaboration. The Amgen values align well with my own. I've been fortunate to be in parts of the corporation that hold the values in high esteem. The Thousand Oaks campus is easily taken for granted. Beautiful landscape, a nice gym, and several extensive cafeterias to choose from. On site conveniences like discounted dry cleaning drop off/pick up and car wash are helpful. Time off with 17 or 18 paid holidays (including 1 week summer and winter shutdowns) plus 3-6 weeks vacation time (depending on seniority). I particularly like the shutdowns, because you can actually take time off and not worry about falling behind.

Cons

Amgen doesn't do the best job at recognizing or rewarding top staff. I've seen many examples of staff finding promotional opportunities externally. Upon threat of losing key employees, Amgen then steps up and matches external offers. This seems especially true at executive levels.

"You have to move out (or threaten to do so) to move up".

Empowerment of staff for decision making is a recognized weakness, but I'm happy to see the most substantial effort in over a decade to make real improvements in this area.

Advice to Management

In the path toward reaching Amgen's full potential, do not skimp on high performing staff. Be proactive in rewarding staff rather than waiting to match external offers. Continue pushing decision making improvements through the organization.

Remove silos by moving toward general management based product P&Ls that integrate the functions or therapeutic areas more seamlessly. There is little regard for cost or impact of decisions in the commercial organization upon operations or regulatory. The PSTs are anemic (pun intended) without direct budget control and decision making empowerment for products.

Other Employee Reviews for Amgen

1. "Still infinitely better than Big Pharma (I've been there too)"

Current Employee - Research Director in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Current Employee - Research Director in Thousand Oaks, CA

I have been working at Amgen full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Top notch 401k, very generous compensation, merit based bonuses for all staff
    Honest attempt to communicate frequently to the masses
    Some of the best leaders I've run across (and fewer leader-slugs)
    Takes corporate values seriously

Cons

Still struggling to get internal research right-sized
    Numerous acquisitions in past 12 years have created numerous small site challenges
    Will continue to outsource to contain costs - disruptive no matter how well done

Advice to Management

Don't forget the values

"Senior Sales Representative"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Rochester, NY

I worked at Amgen full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Awesome benefits probably the best benefits of any company.

Cons

Sell or die. Don't expect management to ever have your back. Most of the new managers are only out for number one. Make sure you get a hood manager and vet who you will be working for. At Amgen your manager will make you or break you. Stay away from the Bone Health diviision especially in highly managed health care markets.

Advice to Management

Get back to selling medicine instead of trying so hard to please the investor and work for the patient again