Amgen - Truly enriching, friendly and high class professionals to work with/for. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Amgen

"Truly enriching, friendly and high class professionals to work with/for."

I have been working at Amgen full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Work ethics & culture, top-notch research, salary & benefits, and Work-Life balance

Cons

Due to company's size, getting to be more bureaucratic, less flexible and delayed decision making

Advice to Management

NEED TO FOCUS ON STAYING AGILE and DRIVE DOWN THE DECISION MAKING PROCESS

Other Employee Reviews for Amgen

1. "Great experience"

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at Amgen as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great resources for all employees

Cons

None Nada None nothing none

2. "Operations professional, a decade plus and counting"

I have been working at Amgen full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Opportunities flow out of relationships built through excellent work and team oriented collaboration. The Amgen values align well with my own. I've been fortunate to be in parts of the corporation that hold the values in high esteem. The Thousand Oaks campus is easily taken for granted. Beautiful landscape, a nice gym, and several extensive cafeterias to choose from. On site conveniences like discounted dry cleaning drop off/pick up and car wash are helpful. Time off with 17 or 18 paid holidays (including 1 week summer and winter shutdowns) plus 3-6 weeks vacation time (depending on seniority). I particularly like the shutdowns, because you can actually take time off and not worry about falling behind.

Cons

Amgen doesn't do the best job at recognizing or rewarding top staff. I've seen many examples of staff finding promotional opportunities externally. Upon threat of losing key employees, Amgen then steps up and matches external offers. This seems especially true at executive levels.

"You have to move out (or threaten to do so) to move up".

Empowerment of staff for decision making is a recognized weakness, but I'm happy to see the most substantial effort in over a decade to make real improvements in this area.

Advice to Management

In the path toward reaching Amgen's full potential, do not skimp on high performing staff. Be proactive in rewarding staff rather than waiting to match external offers. Continue pushing decision making improvements through the organization.

Remove silos by moving toward general management based product P&Ls that integrate the functions or therapeutic areas more seamlessly. There is little regard for cost or impact of decisions in the commercial organization upon operations or regulatory. The PSTs are anemic (pun intended) without direct budget control and decision making empowerment for products.