Amgen - I learned a lot but felt that the job pool in the US is relatively stagnant (at least from the bottom up approach). | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Amgen

"I learned a lot but felt that the job pool in the US is relatively stagnant (at least from the bottom up approach)."

Former Contractor - Manufacturing Associate II in Boulder, CO
Former Contractor - Manufacturing Associate II in Boulder, CO

I worked at Amgen as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

- I learned a lot
- I worked with some great people
- Excellent work/life balance

Cons

- Not enough oversight on corporate initiatives
- Moving production facilities overseas cuts down on available jobs in the US

Advice to Management

New initiatives for increased efficiency are definitely good but they need to fit together better (i.e. one access portal for all efficiency programs and shared metrics).

Other Employee Reviews for Amgen

1. "Declining company in a declining culture"

Former Employee - Senior Scientist in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Scientist in Thousand Oaks, CA

I worked at Amgen full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay, good benefits, good working conditions, nice campus

Cons

management, politics, decision making process, promotion, attitude towards people, arrogance, self-centered, ignorance, self-absorbed, exclusiveness, "I am not responsible,"

Advice to Management

Learn to say "NO" but thats impossible because you will be out, so it is possible but you need to understand that sooner or later you will be out and when you are Okay with that, then it is worthwhile to say "NO," it will make one stronger in the long run.

"The DNA of AMGEN is unraveling"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Thousand Oaks, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Thousand Oaks, CA

I have been working at Amgen full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Two weeks of paid shutdown per year. Good benefits. Once you've worked here, you are a desired talent at most biotech firms.

Cons

Excessive metrics of every function (analysis paralysis) no longer a nimble organization. Uninspiring management, filled with good old boy politics, promotion of incompetent or mis-casts proteges. Promotions based on who you know, not talent. So many really talented, sharp people have made a mass exodus from the organization due to the politics, poor leadership and inability to move their career forward. The DNA of the company and what it once had as value in the talent pool has evaporated. Most of field sales force are new or less than three years tenure. You'll find a lot of people "hanging on" to keep benefits and retirement options or people that came over for the Amgen they heard of but no longer exist.

Advice to Management

Shake up the dead weight and eliminate lifetime positions. Rotate some of the rotten wood out and infuse life into leadership. Most importantly, evaluate the appropriateness of a middle management candidate instead of pushing them out to check the box.