Amgen - Great place to build a career. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Amgen

"Great place to build a career."

Current Employee - Project Manager in Thousand Oaks, CA
Current Employee - Project Manager in Thousand Oaks, CA

I have been working at Amgen full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

good people, good experience, professional place to work. Amgen's known for their generous bonuses and European-style paid time off, matching 401k, and awesome gym.

Cons

the benefits make it hard to leave. they're known as the "golden handcuffs." thousand oaks is a miserable town to live in, unless you are ready to have your white picket fence and 2.5 kids. then it's a great town to live in.

Advice to Management

as we grow, we must expand our resources. if resources are constrained, so will growth.

Other Employee Reviews for Amgen

1. "Strict compliance, but well structured and challenging."

Current Employee - Associate Quality Control Analyst in Longmont, CO
    Current Employee - Associate Quality Control Analyst in Longmont, CO

I have been working at Amgen full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Beautiful, clean, up-to-date laboratories and analytical equipment. I've always had the supplies and reagents necessary to perform my work.

Cons

Frequent staff reorganizations can break up teams and leave you in a position you never requested.

Advice to Management

Focus on your employees' emotional well-being rather than on spreadsheets and emails.

2. "Marvelous place to grow...until the Amgen acquisition."

Current Employee - Associate Director in South San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Director in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Amgen full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Many dedicated people. Some departments retained intact and still functioning well. Best corporate cafe EVER.

Cons

Departures resulting from acquisition seriously affecting morale for everyone. Many unplanned departures in addition to the RIFs. Need to improve change management strategy if retention of employees is important to the Onyx subsidiary's long-term strategy.

Advice to Management

If retention is a goal, refocus on the people as opposed to business synergies and and don't ignore the emotional and mental strain of the acquisition. Onyx employees wanted to work for Onyx, which was in many ways the antithesis of Amgen, so glossing over the change rings false. Find ways to "sell" Onyx employees on Amgen so they don't continue to depart en masse. Channel some Tony Coles warmth and charisma during town hall meetings.