Amgen - Great place to build a career. | Glassdoor

Employee Review

Employee Review

"Great place to build a career."

Current Employee - Project Manager in Thousand Oaks, CA
Current Employee - Project Manager in Thousand Oaks, CA

I have been working at Amgen full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

good people, good experience, professional place to work. Amgen's known for their generous bonuses and European-style paid time off, matching 401k, and awesome gym.

Cons

the benefits make it hard to leave. they're known as the "golden handcuffs." thousand oaks is a miserable town to live in, unless you are ready to have your white picket fence and 2.5 kids. then it's a great town to live in.

Advice to Management

as we grow, we must expand our resources. if resources are constrained, so will growth.

Other Employee Reviews

Other Employee Reviews

1. "Strict compliance, but well structured and challenging."

Current Employee - Associate Quality Control Analyst in Longmont, CO
    Current Employee - Associate Quality Control Analyst in Longmont, CO

I have been working at Amgen full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Beautiful, clean, up-to-date laboratories and analytical equipment. I've always had the supplies and reagents necessary to perform my work.

Cons

Frequent staff reorganizations can break up teams and leave you in a position you never requested.

Advice to Management

Focus on your employees' emotional well-being rather than on spreadsheets and emails.

"Didn't seem to have a clear direction of where they were going day-to-day or year-to-year"

I worked at Amgen full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits were OK, nice newer facilities, they did lots of employee feedback gathering

Cons

Frequent layoffs and reorganizations which seemed to be due to planning issues and moving work overseas. At one point they made grand announcements about expanding the site and hiring lots of people, then did a 180 and had several layoffs and are close to inactivating the site now. Not great for career development or even maintaining current skills; I wasn't able to attend any seminars, classes or conferences for my skill set outside of the Amgen site, much less out of town.

Advice to Management

Have some long-term plans and backup plans in place when investing in infrastructure and worksites.

Discover more reviews about Amgen.