Amgen - Striving to keep sight of patients and science while accelerating growth in a changing health care world. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Amgen

"Striving to keep sight of patients and science while accelerating growth in a changing health care world."

Former Employee - Business Analyst
Former Employee - Business Analyst

I worked at Amgen full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

People: Smart, inquiring, caring, committed. You learn something new every day, some of it better than sci-fi.
Benefits. This company takes care of its own. Support staff like HR, Comp, Payroll give an unbelievable level of individual support for a company this size.
Cost discipline.

Cons

Sense of instability: "What's next?" Some staff concerned that the company is trying to move TOO fast...

Advice to Management

Patients.

Other Employee Reviews for Amgen

"A once great company missing the bar on meeting its full potential"

I have been working at Amgen full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work-life balance, benefits, pay is highly competitive.

Cons

Lack of leadership (across functions), highly political/bureaucratic, lack of trust among teams and co-workers, limited growth opportunities and low morale.

Advice to Management

Managers should stop focusing so much on managing up and their own careers and start leading and managing the employees who are actually doing the work and dedicated to growing the business.

2. "Morale downhill and no one regrets leaving"

Current Employee - IT Analyst
    Current Employee - IT Analyst

I have been working at Amgen full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

depending on your manager, work life balance is possible. Colleagues are fun to be with. Benefits are definitely a plus. Work experience depends on your willingness to learn and do more. Would recommend to friends to join AMGEN for the sake of the benefits and to gain working experience. Career development would depend on themselves.

Cons

Company is downsizing and not much things to look forward to. Not transparent and information is hidden from employees. Can understand that part as lower level employee is need to know basis. My ED is not very forthcoming and his actions do not match his 'inspirational' speech. Does not sense his concern for us and only for himself. Always feel like the axe is above our heads and can drop on us anytime.
    Individual development plan is more lip service. While some people can get their development plan achieved, most are adjusted at the EOY to fulfill the target without actual investment from company.
    More layoffs coming and some of colleagues wish it is upon them so that they can the company with the severance package.
    Some newer colleagues commented this is the worst company they had ever worked.
    I guess there will always be other similar companies like AMGEN. If not for the benefits, I guess more of my colleagues will leave.

Advice to Management

While downsizing is common, consider the impact it has to the process and work. process is difficult enough due to compliance and with less people, it makes one reluctant to pick up more stuff or difficult to expand our skill set. To make one company strong, individual department head need to build the employees and to improve.