Ampush - Very young company with a solid foundation, but lots of room for improvement. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Ampush

"Very young company with a solid foundation, but lots of room for improvement."

Former Employee - Lead Designer in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Lead Designer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Ampush full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working here is like working somewhere else X5. You will gain great knowledge and experience that it will catapult you to the next level in your career. The people that you work with are incredibly smart and talented. You are pretty much expected to take rein on things with not too much direction, but from a learning perspective, being thrown in an environment like that is huge. Ampush's culture is one of the strongest I've seen, but it is also a young culture so a lot of the activities are geared to what you probably were doing in your 20s.

Cons

I came into a very early start up environment and over time I got burned out. The deadlines put on me were non-stop to the point where I felt like I was more of a machine than a contributing member of the team. My team and I were not really given a chance to go through a proper design process, which is okay for some projects, but for others it was desperately needed. An example of this was turning out comps for a major project and only having a couple of days to get them a hi-fi mock for a brand new product. Another example is, we were brought in on projects at the last minute and expected to crank something out by EOD, and we get copy that doesn't necessarily work for the format they were requesting it to be in. As a result, final projects were not done in as high of a quality, as they should be, which can really hurt a growing brand. This, combined with long hours (10-12 is considered normal working hours for them), and not a lot of room to unplug and reset, lead me to start looking for other opportunities elsewhere. They are pretty conservative about their promotions, and it can be challenging if you don't perfectly fit the mold they are looking for, and there are times where you will need to be your own advocate, without forcing it on upper management.

Advice to Management

A better work/life balance is needed than the environment that was in place when I was there. Establish better processes, where things are not constantly thrown on you at the last minute, to allow for the best possible product to be put out. Really listen to your employees when they are unhappy and keep checking in with them to ensure their needs are met (especially if you want to keep them). Trust that you have the right people in place and let their expertise shine, because when it does, you get an amazing product that you constantly brag about.

Other Employee Reviews for Ampush

"Technology stack is a mess"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Ampush full-time

Pros

interesting space, nice office, young people

Cons

politics,worst technology stack which lead to lot of technical debt

"Fast Paced Startup Environment focused around employee growth"

Current Employee - Software Architect in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Architect in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Ampush full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Ability to grow based on merit based environment. Lots of social activities and team building. Founders are always at work. Lots of bright people.

Cons

Lack of experience in technical areas lead to a immature product line. Also sometimes lack of experience at top to give clear focus and direction.

Advice to Management

Keep growing the company by hiring bright people and keep core values