Amtrak - Long and satisfying career with plenty of opportunity. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Amtrak

"Long and satisfying career with plenty of opportunity."

Current Employee - Train Conductor in Washington, DC
Current Employee - Train Conductor in Washington, DC

I have been working at Amtrak full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Interesting, never stultified by micro management. Skills are honed and re-honed to meet the changing needs of the public and ever growing technology

Cons

None to mention at any length. Newer employees sometimes don't get the tradition or sense of railroading but that is not the fault of the company

Advice to Management

Praise first, then critique. Spend time with front line managers to develop leadership skills and learn the art of managing rather than patrolling

Other Employee Reviews for Amtrak

"Organizational Transition"

Current Employee - Director in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Director in Washington, DC

I have been working at Amtrak full-time

Pros

Current desire and willingness to run it like a business and align to corporate strategy and goals. Very good retirement and fringe benefits and competitive IT salary. Safety is number one and concern for environmental awareness.

Cons

The ongoing organizational changes needs clear and effective process and communication plus clarity on new roles and responsibilities are lagging behind.

Advice to Management

New leaders need to communicate better to employees about their new roles and responsibilities and expectations.

"Many ups and downs"

Former Employee - Station Services in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Station Services in Chicago, IL

I worked at Amtrak full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits, Good retirement we do pay for it as does the railroad.

Cons

No across the board treatment some employees treated better than others. No direction from senior management, if anything they like to hide and stay away from day to day operations. Also many employees are snitches guess it makes them feel important you will find out otherwise. Just retired employment over 30 years, I was not lazy not in my twenties anymore I am now 60 plus. You would have to be new employee to think those of us who have been around a while are lazy I have seen it in all age groups. We will see how you feel when you reach this stage of your career, if you ever do. Good lock to everyone. !!!!

Advice to Management

Start treating employees with more respect stop treating us as if we need baby sitters, start using the talents you have within, get rid of outside contractors we are a Unionized Organization!!!!!