Anheuser-Busch - This is now a financial company that sells beer, plain and simple. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Anheuser-Busch

"This is now a financial company that sells beer, plain and simple."

Current Employee - District Sales Manager
Current Employee - District Sales Manager

I have been working at Anheuser-Busch full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The free beer is over blown. If you choose to manage up, sell half baked ideas well and cut throats you will succeed. If you are interviewing for the SMT or GMT program; (if you go into Field Sales) I strongly suggest going into analytical, category/space management positions as these jobs are easily transferrable to other companies who pay much more than AB does. Come here for two years and bail. Most of the SMT/GMT kids have already left, but they likely could have better spent their time if they gained experiences in those departments.

If you work in St. Louis: learn to play volleyball and play in the pick up games with the Brazilians. Guaranteed you will get a job you are not qualified for. If outside of St. Louis- manage up, always rent and manage up some more.

Cons

A massive culture gap exist that dictates the culture of the company. This seems to be typical in many European and South American countries. Senior level management approaches managing their employees that each of our jobs are a gift and we should be grateful for what we have...grateful for bonus potential that we have yet to hit, no raises, increased work loads due to high turnover (as well as leaving jobs open for long periods of time to save money), watching as colleagues who spent more time managing up than on their contribution to the team get promoted and you will get a good feeling why no one wants to be here.

Sr Mgmt has proven time and time again they are outstanding at cutting cost but incapable of growing share. This will prove true moving forward as taking too aggressive price increases the last 5 years have created a hole too deep to dig out of. For the last three years they have stepped over dimes to pick up pennies focusing on growing high share (a category with no consumer loyalty) over their core consumer (premium and subpremium). Due to pressure from Wall Street, the company is now forced to grow share and stop losing volume.

Expect the company to make impulse, cost cutting decisions to hit Wall Street financial goals to salvage not meeting share targets that destroy any chance of you hitting your goals and making bonus due to Sr Mgmt's inability to grow share. Just not in their DNA.

There is zero perspective for balance of work/personal life. Morale is very low and any cheering, clapping is largely due to enforced enthusiasm that 90% of employees roll their eyes at. Brazilians came in promoting that it was going to be a true meritocracy for promotions replacing frat house politics but this birthed a new cut throat, brown nose culture only where the best lap dogs get taken care of.

Advice to Management

I candidly think that the people who are capable of improving this company are so burned out (and on their way out) or have left that it is too late. The very best "beer men/women" of this company have been so soul crushed by the company, working for AB is just a paycheck. A major departure from the previous culture. This is now a financial company that sells beer, plain and simple. As it has been said by many: this company loves making money, not sharing it.

I've sold all my company stock as it hit 110 (over valued) and I believe many of the smart analysts are realizing they must grow share now- and am not capable of it. The attempts of spending large amounts of money behind half baked ideas to buy share will come to light sooner rather than later. Blame will initially shift to everyone outside of St. Louis until someone asks the intelligent question of, "Did we ask anyone with field experience if this would work before we rolled out (insert Heavy Trade Program)?". Staffing teams full of people with little to no experience has its repercussions.

Lastly, for a company that promotes acting like owners, I'd ask the justification of opening an office in Miami that clearly isn't intended for Sr Mgmt entertainment write offs at a "Role Model" level. In the old company, mgmt was a bit more coy with strip club visits and golf club memberships. Sure everyone associated with it is either a 4a or 4b.

It will still be a solid stock but I foresee very volatile ups/downs ahead.

Other Employee Reviews for Anheuser-Busch

"Oh, how the mighty have fallen."

Current Employee - Beer Packaging and Shipping in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Beer Packaging and Shipping in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Anheuser-Busch full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pay is still very good and benefits are still decent, although they have started to be whittled away with the latest labor contract. No doubt this trend will continue. Work/life balance is still very good for hourly employees thanks to weekender relief program as well as decent chances to get weekdays off through the use of floating holidays and single day vacations.

Cons

If you are hourly like I am, you will have a new 12 year old boss about every six months. Turnover is high for management because they have no labor contract, so they were of course shamelessly rear-ended immediately after the takeover. Company used to have a thousand little ways to show you they appreciated you, almost all of those have been eliminated in the wake of the takeover. Company is run by bankers, not brewers. They have lost a lot of their ability to own and grow a brand, all they know how to do is take them over.

Advice to Management

If you want to retain good people in management like you say, you will have to do a better job compensating those people. Right now, you are simply a first step after college before people find a company that rewards them properly for their work. That is, rewards the best and brightest properly. You will be stuck with everyone else.

"I was blessed to have worked for AB for 19 years, albeit 17 of those years were before In-Bev."

Former Employee - Production Technician in Gainesville, FL
    Former Employee - Production Technician in Gainesville, FL

I worked at Anheuser-Busch full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

AB was truly a pro-employee company during the years I spent there. The AB philosophy was to be the best, and they were forward thinking enough to invest in technology and employee training to achieve those goals. I felt like family, was well compensated, and well trained.

Cons

Everybody was expected to work hard to achieve the company's objectives, if you want to call that a "con". Cronyism is perhaps my strongest criticism.

Advice to Management

Bring back the glory that was once AB. Take some pages from August III's playbook and make AB more than just another beer company once again. The icon can only stay on top just so long without something other that profit margins behind it.