Anheuser-Busch - A Reminder of What I Don't Want in a Job | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Anheuser-Busch

"A Reminder of What I Don't Want in a Job"

Former Employee - Group Manager
Former Employee - Group Manager

I worked at Anheuser-Busch full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Casual environment, able to meet some good people to work with, and monthly beer.... If you think I would say tools given to employees as a pro?? THINK AGAIN

Cons

Way too many levels of approval needed to make one decision, slow to react on important needs, bonuses are dangled in front of you but are structured not to be met. Bully front line, mid level management, and possibly Director level too. Scorned/jaded peers due to constant reprimands and no praise. The only way to make it in the cut throat environment is to become "friendly" with different management levels.

It's a shame really- it is one thing to see the commercials that convey nostalgia and American way but to know the working environment is more like the prohibition era when alcohol, sex and group clicks was a way of the times to survive. Good ol' boy practices still strong and visible in many ways.

Advice to Management

Where there is smoke there is fire. Listen to your employees..... The ones out in the field. If there is a common thread of concern..... There may actually be a concern. Just because a manager/director and above is liked for their personality at St. Louis doesn't mean they are effective at leading people in the field; those are the ones who feel invincible and can't be touched.

Many high potential employees have left and moved on to companies that VALUE them. Eventually competitive edge will be lost when new high po's choose not to take a risk on working at the company. Good luck.

Other Employee Reviews for Anheuser-Busch

"Wonderful Summer Job at Grant's Farm (AB)"

Former Employee - Merchandise Associate At Grant's Farm in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Merchandise Associate At Grant's Farm in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Anheuser-Busch part-time (More than a year)

Pros

nice people
    flexible schedule
    good environment to work in
    productive yet relaxed atmosphere
    good training period, it really makes you feel prepared for your job responsibilities

Cons

lack of raises and bonuses

"This is now a financial company that sells beer, plain and simple."

Current Employee - District Sales Manager
    Current Employee - District Sales Manager

I have been working at Anheuser-Busch full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The free beer is over blown. If you choose to manage up, sell half baked ideas well and cut throats you will succeed. If you are interviewing for the SMT or GMT program; (if you go into Field Sales) I strongly suggest going into analytical, category/space management positions as these jobs are easily transferrable to other companies who pay much more than AB does. Come here for two years and bail. Most of the SMT/GMT kids have already left, but they likely could have better spent their time if they gained experiences in those departments.

If you work in St. Louis: learn to play volleyball and play in the pick up games with the Brazilians. Guaranteed you will get a job you are not qualified for. If outside of St. Louis- manage up, always rent and manage up some more.

Cons

A massive culture gap exist that dictates the culture of the company. This seems to be typical in many European and South American countries. Senior level management approaches managing their employees that each of our jobs are a gift and we should be grateful for what we have...grateful for bonus potential that we have yet to hit, no raises, increased work loads due to high turnover (as well as leaving jobs open for long periods of time to save money), watching as colleagues who spent more time managing up than on their contribution to the team get promoted and you will get a good feeling why no one wants to be here.

Sr Mgmt has proven time and time again they are outstanding at cutting cost but incapable of growing share. This will prove true moving forward as taking too aggressive price increases the last 5 years have created a hole too deep to dig out of. For the last three years they have stepped over dimes to pick up pennies focusing on growing high share (a category with no consumer loyalty) over their core consumer (premium and subpremium). Due to pressure from Wall Street, the company is now forced to grow share and stop losing volume.

Expect the company to make impulse, cost cutting decisions to hit Wall Street financial goals to salvage not meeting share targets that destroy any chance of you hitting your goals and making bonus due to Sr Mgmt's inability to grow share. Just not in their DNA.

There is zero perspective for balance of work/personal life. Morale is very low and any cheering, clapping is largely due to enforced enthusiasm that 90% of employees roll their eyes at. Brazilians came in promoting that it was going to be a true meritocracy for promotions replacing frat house politics but this birthed a new cut throat, brown nose culture only where the best lap dogs get taken care of.

Advice to Management

I candidly think that the people who are capable of improving this company are so burned out (and on their way out) or have left that it is too late. The very best "beer men/women" of this company have been so soul crushed by the company, working for AB is just a paycheck. A major departure from the previous culture. This is now a financial company that sells beer, plain and simple. As it has been said by many: this company loves making money, not sharing it.

I've sold all my company stock as it hit 110 (over valued) and I believe many of the smart analysts are realizing they must grow share now- and am not capable of it. The attempts of spending large amounts of money behind half baked ideas to buy share will come to light sooner rather than later. Blame will initially shift to everyone outside of St. Louis until someone asks the intelligent question of, "Did we ask anyone with field experience if this would work before we rolled out (insert Heavy Trade Program)?". Staffing teams full of people with little to no experience has its repercussions.

Lastly, for a company that promotes acting like owners, I'd ask the justification of opening an office in Miami that clearly isn't intended for Sr Mgmt entertainment write offs at a "Role Model" level. In the old company, mgmt was a bit more coy with strip club visits and golf club memberships. Sure everyone associated with it is either a 4a or 4b.

It will still be a solid stock but I foresee very volatile ups/downs ahead.