Cover image for Animalz

Former Employee, more than 3 years

Welcome to the (burnout) machine

Aug 9, 2021 - Content Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

- If you like writing and editing, you will write and edit a lot. - BIG name clients. - Some (if they’re still around) of the best people you’ll ever work with.

Cons

- A relentless pursuit of growth means Animalz takes on clients it can’t handle and gives them to already overworked content managers (we’re talking 50+ hours many weeks). Clients churn and employees burn out (and eventually leave). - Animalz will sacrifice you for the client. Content managers have been verbally abused but client contracts are sacrosanct. - As of this writing, employee turnover has skyrocketed and leadership has said little more than “this is what you expect from an agency.” - Vacation is hard to take. You have to communicate far in advance and find your own coverage (typically a freelancer). More often than not, you’re working extra hard before your time off and extra hard after. - Internal tools are held together by duct tape and a prayer. Not a week goes by without something going down. - Toxic positivity has infected the company. Venting and other forms of negative talk have been strongly discouraged. - Animalz claims to be women-led but a man is at the helm (the chairman). - Animalz made a big deal about its DEI efforts but followed up months later with… a meeting. And so far, nothing else. - The company is rife with favoritism and that comes with bonuses, reduced work, and praise; it also comes with prejudice and that comes with insults, extra work, and distrust. I’ll let you guess how favoritism and prejudice break down along gender, race, nationality, and sexuality lines. - Animalz pays poorly. If you really want to work here, work here for a year, and then leverage the experience and brand to earn 30K more elsewhere while working less. - Benefits are awful. There are no paid holidays (aside from a couple of “floating holidays”), no dependent coverage, and leadership has laughed off the idea of a 401K match. End-of-year bonuses take the form of Amazon gift cards. No home office stipend. - Leadership has been “taking steps to improve things” for my entire tenure and no progress has been made. If anything, it’s gotten worse. Don’t trust them.

Continue reading
    21 people found this review helpful

Animalz Response

One of our original values was relentless growth. At the time, this value made sense; when Devin and I joined in 2018, we had just achieved product market fit, had just launched a blog to grow inbound and were month to month with sales. Through the pandemic, we ran towards growth opportunities to ensure a long and healthy future for Animalz (remember, in Q2 of 2020 we were doing everything we could to prevent layoffs). This year has shown us the upper limits of our growth constraints and reminded us how we want growth to feel: intentional, and dare I say, good. Today, I think of relentless growth as it relates to our team; giving people the opportunities to grow themselves as experts, executives and entrepreneurs. We believe that giving people the opportunity to think beyond their current role at Animalz is part of what will improve team retention. Giving is the wrong word though, indicating favoritism; what we are trying to do is to help the people who come to us with ideas for future growth realize those ideas with current and future company priorities in mind. Having had a few behind the scenes hard conversations with customers that team members flagged concerns about, I’d just say...you don’t always know the whole story. This indicates a lack of trust, which is something we are working hard to fix by prioritizing the team and customer experience. So far, we have: * improved pay * aligned the entire leadership team to focus on hiring so that we have the people in place to drive customer success and to make it easier for people to have customized workloads (and take PTO!) * launched an internship for underrepresented groups as a step towards making content marketing more inclusive We are forever a work in progress. I am encouraged by the steps we’ve taken over the last few months working together and excited to continue to improve so that we can fulfill our purpose of making the internet a more helpful place. Customer and team experience remain our current focus. Lastly, while our founder is an important advisor and partner to us and Animalz as a whole, it is on us to guide and ensure the future of this company. I’m grateful to every person who is helping us move forward.

Other Employee Reviews

1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

A great fit for me, but not perfect for everyone

Jul 7, 2022 - Content Marketing Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

A few days into my career at Animalz, I knew it was a great fit. However, because of past toxic job experiences, I was wary that I was in a "honeymoon" phase that would eventually wear off. Over a year later, it still hasn't worn off! No company is perfect, but what makes Animalz stand out is that leadership genuinely cares about their people and is working to make things better. Sometimes that progress is slow, sometimes it creates growing pains, etc. But I've been in places where no progress is made at all...so dealing with growing pains feels far better. It's a sign that they're continually trying to make things better and are always willing to admit when they're wrong and need to change direction. Agency life in general can be hard. It requires a focus on production, which can be stressful. But over the years they've reduced the number of articles to a manageable amount after listening to their employees. They're also working on ways to reduce the emphasis on production numbers. That's not an easy task in an agency environment, but they're willing to take it on for our sake. As far as workload, the expectation is 8 articles a month (on the months you don't take PTO). If you come from agency life, you know how manageable this is compared to most agencies that require you to write an article a day sometimes. The feedback process is hefty, so in general, the articles do take longer from start to finish, but it's so nice to be able to focus on quality over quantity.

Cons

If you haven't been in a position where you're writing full-time (or if you have no agency experience), there might be a steep learning curve to ramp up to the production required. So if you're genuinely not interested in writing full time, this probably isn't the position for you. The company is also facing growing pains right now (largely due to restructuring how teams work). This is natural with any company, but if you're easily stressed out by change then maybe consider applying 6 months from now when things have stabilized.

Continue reading
    8 people found this review helpful
  2. 4.0
    Former Employee

Really nice people

Nov 16, 2022 - Content Marketing Manager in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible hours, wonderful co-workers and supervisors. Real people with real compassion.

Cons

Clients were ... a challenge.

1 person found this review helpful

Discover more reviews about Animalz.

Animalz Photos

+ Add Photo
Animalz photo of: Animalz hoodies!
Animalz photo of: Laura and Elizabeth meeting up with some cats!
Animalz photo of: Walter and Tulip