Cover image for Animalz

Add a Review

Employee Review

1. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Challenging work but amazing company! Best place I've ever worked!

Jan 11, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Very supportive team environment; amazing coworkers! If you have questions several people will offer solutions or direct you to the right resource. Leadership values intelligence and encourages career growth. You are empowered to work independently and take ownership of your role. Transparent, clear communication. Amazing benefits package. Work-life balance is good if you're efficient at what you do. I've noted the high turnover below, but it's usually because people have learned a lot and are moving on. And the company celebrates that! This is a great place to grow your career!

Cons

Work load can be intense; leads to lots of employee turnover. Processes are great when they exist. But when a process is lacking or nonexistent, it's tough to get answers about something. (That said, process improvement is encouraged. No "we've always done it this way" mentality). No 401k match. Insurance for family members is really expensive.

4 people found this review helpful

Other Employee Reviews

1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

A great fit for me, but not perfect for everyone

Jul 7, 2022 - Content Marketing Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

A few days into my career at Animalz, I knew it was a great fit. However, because of past toxic job experiences, I was wary that I was in a "honeymoon" phase that would eventually wear off. Over a year later, it still hasn't worn off! No company is perfect, but what makes Animalz stand out is that leadership genuinely cares about their people and is working to make things better. Sometimes that progress is slow, sometimes it creates growing pains, etc. But I've been in places where no progress is made at all...so dealing with growing pains feels far better. It's a sign that they're continually trying to make things better and are always willing to admit when they're wrong and need to change direction. Agency life in general can be hard. It requires a focus on production, which can be stressful. But over the years they've reduced the number of articles to a manageable amount after listening to their employees. They're also working on ways to reduce the emphasis on production numbers. That's not an easy task in an agency environment, but they're willing to take it on for our sake. As far as workload, the expectation is 8 articles a month (on the months you don't take PTO). If you come from agency life, you know how manageable this is compared to most agencies that require you to write an article a day sometimes. The feedback process is hefty, so in general, the articles do take longer from start to finish, but it's so nice to be able to focus on quality over quantity.

Cons

If you haven't been in a position where you're writing full-time (or if you have no agency experience), there might be a steep learning curve to ramp up to the production required. So if you're genuinely not interested in writing full time, this probably isn't the position for you. The company is also facing growing pains right now (largely due to restructuring how teams work). This is natural with any company, but if you're easily stressed out by change then maybe consider applying 6 months from now when things have stabilized.

Continue reading
    8 people found this review helpful
  2. 1.0
    Former Employee

Everything good this company had going for it is now gone.

Dec 1, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

During my time at Animalz I learned a huge amount about content marketing and experienced significant career growth. I also worked with amazing people- writers, strategists and team leads, who supported and encouraged that growth.

Cons

Unfortunately my experience was an anomaly. Everything that made this a supportive and enriching place to work is now gone. The previous emphasis on learning and career growth has been replaced with a laser-like focus on production goals and numbers above all else... including employee's well being. Writers, editors and managers are told to meet quotas or get out, even if that means working on weekends, holidays, or during mental health emergencies. Additionally I've become increasingly concerned with the company's borderline unethical employment practices. The company is in a bad place financially and the employees lowest on the power totem pole are bearing the brunt of the pain. Half of the quality team was laid off last month. Instead of making cuts that might garner more attention or cost more in severance payouts, the current leadership seems to managing out all but the highest performing employees using performance improvement plans and other tactics to force people to quit. People are not given enough assignments work on and then guilt tripped for not completing enough work. There is currently a hiring freeze, a salary freeze, and a moratorium on bonuses or cost of living increases. As senior level people leave their roles are not backfilled, creating a power vacuum, increased confusion and general chaos. At least a dozen writers have been operating with no manager at all for several months now. Employee concerns are not addressed, and feedback to leadership is often met with anger or gaslighting. While middle management works hard and genuinely cares about the employees, the members of the current leadership team are either checked out, unqualified, or power tripping. It give me no joy to say this, as I genuinely enjoyed at least part of my time employed here, but I cannot in good conscious recommend anyone accept a job here. If you accept a job here you are signing up to work for a very expensive content mill.

Continue reading
    10 people found this review helpful

Discover more reviews about Animalz.

Animalz Photos

+ Add Photo
Animalz photo of: Animalz hoodies!
Animalz photo of: Laura and Elizabeth meeting up with some cats!
Animalz photo of: Walter and Tulip