Ann Taylor - Lead through fear | Glassdoor

"Lead through fear"

Current Employee - Co Manager in Honolulu, NC
Current Employee - Co Manager in Honolulu, NC

I have been working at Ann Taylor full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Discount
Visually a beautiful store to work

Cons

It's a shame that such a well known brand fosters an environment of leading by fear.

Advice to Management

Require your Store Managers to dress professionally as they expect other staff. Require that customers are greeted with sincerity.
Have your district manager review/approve any employment ads posted on Craigslist. Saw an ad which the grammar and sentence structure was atrocious!! Is that how your company is represented!!

Other Employee Reviews for Ann Taylor

"Very unstastified!!"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Short Hills, NJ
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Short Hills, NJ

I worked at Ann Taylor part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

At the beginning being offered a new job was a gift from God.

Had a wonderful store manger who cared about all employees (health, feelings and work conditions) but unfortunately they transferred her to another location.

Pay was decent receiving 35hrs a week starting at $9 and getting a raise after 3 months to $9.25 also was promoted to stock associate also being a sales associate.

I was a college student at the time so they worked with my schedule since I went to class at night I worked most 7am-3 or 10am-3:30pm ( doing store fronts, stocks and opening the store) with two days off and one of them being I was doing volunteer services for my major.

My work was great which they could see so when a position is open they love to promote the hard determined workers.

Cons

Job began to become depressing

The wonderful store manger who was transferred then was replaced by an unprofessional inconsiderate person who thought you didn't have a life outside of the company. You would be on her bad side if you had to call out for any reason but she didn't have a problem coming in late, taking vacations, chatting on her private line and never coming out to help clients. So why any different for associates?

She than left the job because she received another job offer and while training the new store manager gave a bad word for all the employees who were not Caucasian. Those including myself that were working 35 hrs weekly were randomly cut to 4 hrs a week which was equivalent to a day and that was that.

The reason we were cut was The store manager told the new store manger we supposedly didnt do our work...
    How I know what was said is accurate is because the new store manger said it herself. Some employees stuck it out to stay longer and others just quit.
    To be technical and professional your suppose to inform the worker with a verbal warning, following a write up. I never received either or. I was the only sales associate that did the work I did. I called the store manger over a months time to see if I had an hours and I was always told "no, call next week to see" eventually I got fed up and never called back.

I then applied for unemployment stating I was laid off and they agreed but then didn't report the proper earnings I had made so I didn't have much in my pockets but I was grateful I did receive something.

They also will make you stand In front of the store for 4 hrs at a time greeting customers instead of rotating the associates around.

There's so many other thing I can say but this will be enough. Im not saying that my experience will be yours but just get as much feedback on any company you apply for.

Advice to Management

Hiring better people to oversee your companies bases.

"Decent enough for the short-term"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Ann Taylor part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very friendly and pleasant co-workers. Good discount.

Cons

Management is constantly pushing us to "get cards". Selling only one item at a time is also cause for management to get on your case.

Advice to Management

If you want us to build relationships with clients stop pushing the credit card on people. It is off-putting for the client and the sales associates.