Ann Taylor - Started off great, then new Upper management took over and went downhill | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Ann Taylor

"Started off great, then new Upper management took over and went downhill"

Current Employee - Store Manager in New York, NY
Current Employee - Store Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Ann Taylor full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great compensation. Professional atmosphere, great discounts.Cares about great causes as a organization.

Cons

Micromanagement from DM level and up......too many people to report to. So much miscommunication. Constant marketing changes, schedule constantly changing even after its made, day by day.

Advice to Management

Too many chiefs, not enough Indians!

Other Employee Reviews for Ann Taylor

1. "Ann Inc. really cares about their employees"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Allen, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Allen, TX

I have been working at Ann Taylor part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very flexible with scheduling. Our store manager is awesome! She understands the need for work/ family life balance. They have an open door policy and we feel comfortable addressing any concerns we have.

Cons

Not a lot of room for pay increases

"What's there to say?"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Ann Taylor part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employee discount and an okay starter for a retail job.

Cons

Not enough floor coverage especially when it comes to closing.

Poor quality in merchandise. Some of the merchandise is not even fully finished. Yes, it costs money to do an understitching but for a company that wants to appear "high end" and yet reasonably priced, finish sewing your garments. How many times do I have to see a dress or woven top that needs an understitch? Clients who pay for your merchandise should not have to see the interfacing. Upgrade the register systems. I'm sick of clients complaining how Ann Taylor is not like other stores, that we cannot look up their previous purchases like Macys or Lord and Taylor.

As a company, do you really do anything on workers' compensation when they get injured on the job? A fellow co-worker had slipped and was badly injured, her knee to be exact. And yes, she called the Ann Cares hotline. Nothing was done on any management level. She said, Ann Taylor, has done NOTHING for the workers' compensation.

Despite company's generous discount, not everyone can still afford to dress in the current apparel. Yes, employees can wear apparel that is not from Ann Taylor but still needs to look like "Ann," and yet sale associates are still being talked to about not dressing, "Ann Taylor approved."

Advice to Management

Have the District Manager, screen co-managers and store managers better. It is clearly apparent, that they want the job position (at least in the store I work in) but they do not want the job responsibilities. I've only liked one manager and when he left, the store atmosphere dramatically changed for the worse. Manager after manager, incompetent of their job duties or act like tyrants or talk down to you.

Stop thinking so much on how to save money and actually think about your employees who work as sales associates. Your rules on payroll is completely ridiculous. There is not enough coverage on the floor which therefore means less time to focus on clients. We lose sales.

Upgrade. Upgrade. Upgrade. Your computer system.

Go back to making quality merchandise.

As for the Creative Designer, despite the change in direction of Ann Taylor wanting to be more "trendy" and "hip" where you want to target women in their 20s. You still need to think about the clients before that. Clients over 50 complain that the style is "too young" for them now. They also complain on the length of the simple t-shirts, they find it too long.