Apache - Apache: Demanding and Rewarding. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Apache

"Apache: Demanding and Rewarding."

Current Employee - Geologist in Houston, TX
Current Employee - Geologist in Houston, TX

Pros

Apache is a company that will allow you to develop a wide range of skills in a fast paced environment, and will allow you to make game changing decisions immediately. In the oil and gas industry, Apache is known as a company that expects a lot of its employees, but rewards them for it. The bonus structure is phenomenal compared to other companies in this industry.
Perhaps the best part of working for Apache is that it is big enough to participate in large, technologically advanced projects that are cutting edge, but also small enough to be incredibly agile when it comes to moving forward on projects and navigating the often complicated world of oil and gas. At Apache you will see projects moving from start to finish under your watch - that is something my peers at other companies do not often get to experience.

Cons

The main downside at working for Apache is that it demands far more from its employees than other companies. At Apache you are expected to do more as an individual - although team concepts are evolving there are still many times when you will have to work in many diverse fields on one project. At other companies you might have 5-6 people working a project, whereas at Apache you would only have 2-3 for a project of similar scope.
This leads to what I see as being the biggest downside of working at Apache as a technical expert. You are often expected to be married to your job. It's not uncommon to have the feeling that you can't take your vacations because of assignments and deadlines, especially if you are determined to be upwardly mobile. The work-life balance can be truly dismal.

Advice to Management

I would suggest that we continue to aggressively pursue growth in new geographic regions - A company trying to grow as fast as Apache really needs to try and re-establish a foothold in Asia and expand operations in existing regions (i.e., expand North Sea region into Scandinavia and Egypt into other Middle Eastern Countries, like what was done with Argentina-Chile).
I would also suggest reigning in some operations to the corporate structure, and consider having more centralized accounting, IT, and legal departments.
Finally, I would suggest that we better optimize our use of human capital. We have experts in various regions that could make huge impacts in other regions. However, due to how personnel decision are made on a regional level and not a corporate level, people's talents often go to waste

Other Employee Reviews for Apache

"Standard Oil and Gas"

I have been working at Apache full-time

Pros

Great pay and benefits. Immediate / middle management are great people

Cons

They can say that they care all they want but in the end it's all just business and you're just a number on a spreadsheet

Advice to Management

Try to treat your employees like humans, not an obstacle to your success

2. "Operations Technician"

Former Employee - Operations Technician in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)
    Former Employee - Operations Technician in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)

Pros

Good money
    Good roster
    Friendly Atmosphere
    Great site, more to do here then most places after work, beautiful place to work, love the food and wet mess

Cons

Site politics can be bad, cut back on maintenance worries alot of people onsite, some people in roles they shouldn't

Advice to Management

Create a system to management internal conflicts, need a better safety system, the safetymate books are a bit stupid, could be better, the quota mentality means people just make stuff up just to ensure they dont fall behind their pdr