Apex Clearing - Apex is a great place to work | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Apex Clearing

"Apex is a great place to work"

I have been working at Apex Clearing full-time

Pros

Good people. Great environment. Bright future.

Cons

At times there may be an overload of work to be done but management is reasonable in their expectations.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing and things will continue to get better and better.

Apex Clearing Response

Aug 28, 2014 – Corporate Recruiter

Thank you for your review! We hope you continue to feel optimistic as an Apex employee.

Other Employee Reviews for Apex Clearing

"Great Firm with a Great Future"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Apex Clearing full-time

Pros

I recently joined Apex and it's been a great experience thus far. My interview process was well coordinated and I could tell a lot of thought and effort had gone into it. Now that I've been in my role a little while, I'm still happy with my decision to join the firm. There are plenty of growth opportunities as far as I can see - the difference is you'll have to go after them yourself. Nothing will be given to you - who wants that anyways? If you want to advance or even take your career in a different direction, you can do that here. The firm is small so they definitely foster an entrepreneurial spirit. I would describe the culture as "Work Hard. Play Hard." I don't see anyone twiddling their thumbs - we all have a full plate, but there's still opportunity to have fun and get to know your co-workers especially with such an open office environment.

Cons

With any growing company, there will be growing pains. There's nothing negative that you wouldn't find in a small growing firm and that is typically worked out overtime and as people get more comfortable with change and expansion.

2. "Very good, not great in Portland."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Apex Clearing full-time

Pros

Very clean technical environment compared to most large companies and a lot of financial services firms. An engineer can certainly get up to speed quickly here. Free Snack-packs and string cheese in the refrigerator. Very social environment. Good for a junior dev, but a senior developer will stagnate here with limited opportunities for professional growth as an individual contributor.

Cons

The Portland office is high-density and right next to a freight train passing 2-3 times per hour. You get used to it, but it's always there. The area outside the office is not safe at night due to the camping situation.

Office hours are typically 8-6.

Company culture is rather bland from the perspective of a software developer, but that's more an issue with financial services/fintech in general.

The company is not very supportive of women working in technology or minorities, despite HR attempts to say otherwise. It's white guys all the way up.

Middle management is more often a barrier than an enabler.

Very odd symbiotic relationship with parent company Peak6.

Tech leadership is highly political and translucent. In some ways they're lost, with two (three?) re-orgs in the past two years, and a complete restructuring four years ago. Current CEO (Capuzzi), however, is a promising leader and will probably have a good impact.

Advice to Management

Develop management capabilities in soft skill areas like mentoring and coaching.

Prioritize developer experience.

Outsource only if necessary, not when convenient--sending work to a disinterested parent company is not aligning for growth.

Don't be too quick to assume you understand the scope of your core competencies.

Apex Clearing Response

Jan 19, 2017 – CEO

Thanks for sharing your feedback. Obviously, it’s not great to hear that you’re not very satisfied with the culture or working environment. I’m sure some of that is because we’re growing a lot and ... More