AppNexus - amazing career and personal growth since working here | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for AppNexus

"amazing career and personal growth since working here"

Current Employee - Marketing in New York, NY
Current Employee - Marketing in New York, NY

I have been working at AppNexus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The opportunity for career growth here is unparalleled to any other place I've worked. I've built my position from the ground up with nothing but crazy support from my team and the execs. Expectations are certainly tremendous, and the pressure is high with everyone encouraged to give live feedback on performance and how to improve. And for me as a person and a professional, it's exactly what I've been craving in a workplace.

I've also never worked somewhere where I have such great out of work relationships and friendships with my coworkers. Everyone here was so outwardly friendly when I joined, and that camaraderie has continued.

Cons

The hours can be long sometimes and definitely tons of ownership means taking responsibility (and the fall) when things go wrong.

Other Employee Reviews for AppNexus

"Ambitious friendly team, tackling very challenging problems"

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at AppNexus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very challenging problems (scale, rapid development, complex problem domain)
    Some of the best engineers and execs I every encountered
    Rapid growth
    Lots of opportunities for growth
    Complete transparency about strategy
    More emphasis on software engineering practices is very timely.
    Recent strategic planning process was grueling but amazingly inclusive. I have never witness exec team involve so many line people in strategic planning.

Cons

Tight deadline
    Sometimes project definitions are not sufficiently precise

Advice to Management

Find a way to have fewer meetings
    Company is growing very rapidly and responding to changing markets. Execs try very hard to keep everyone in the loop but rank-and-file would benefit from more details and more QA.

2. "It's pretty awesome, I'm really happy to be here."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at AppNexus full-time

Pros

The company's product and trajectory--cutting edge technology, unbelievable company growth, excellent market positioning. It's really exciting to be a part of.

The culture--it's a high-energy work environment, really driven and intelligent coworkers, and a lot of fun. There's still very much a startup feel despite the size of the company (I believe it's over 400 people now and still growing rapidly). The execs walk around the office in hoodies joking with employees and are happy to chat with anyone who stops them. There's still widespread use of Nerf guns and the cornhole boards in the cafe see action pretty frequently. Upper management has also made a significant effort to communicate vision and strategy to all employees, which really helps preserve the small startup feel. There's an entire week dedicated to execs giving presentations to the entire company explaining long term strategy and the reasoning behind it. For the most part they are very candid about everything--feels like there are very few secrets here, which is awesome.

The perks--tons of free stuff. Free breakfast every day, free lunch every Friday and randomly some other days, drinks and snacks (good stuff too: Red Bull, espresso, beef jerky, pita and hummus, mac n cheese, fruit, granola bars, etc.), budget to have fun (I can order in lunch for meetings whenever, take the team out for drinks and other outings and nobody bats an eye about expensing it), and great swag (high quality: American Apparel hoodies, Patagonia bags, etc.).

Cons

The cons are mostly just normal growing pains. The company is expanding so fast that some things haven't caught up to the size yet. Namely, meeting rooms and desk space are getting scare quickly, and there needs to be some more process in place to handle certain things (ad hoc requests that work in a company of 100 don't work as well in a company of 400). Also, because of the hiring rate you're asked to conduct interviews--a lot.

Advice to Management

Keep it fun and transparent--our culture is so important in attracting and retaining awesome talent. Keep making a visible effort to address employee concerns and keeping everyone in the loop. Also, order more jerky.