Apple - Great company, but thinking different discouraged | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Apple

"Great company, but thinking different discouraged"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Pros

To a large extent, Apple is amazing. I was within the tech support call center management, and both my employees and my coworkers were brilliant and amazing. The "bosses" tend to also be great people, with an occasional (albeit notable) exception. They do respect work/life balance, and there's a hefty program for development in terms of you career within the company. On the corporate side, there's also intangible benefits like "casual attire" (namely, don't come to work naked), monthly parties (with and without alcohol), an on-site gym, etc.

Cons

The biggest problem I found was that the dedication to secrecy that Apple is known for is disseminated down to the lowest positions. There were multiple times were we weren't given enough information to adequately prepare for our jobs, or prepare for product releases. I also found that if you wanted to give feedback to decision-makers, your feedback was generally treated like you were a cute child, with a head-pat as they sent you along your way. Sometimes it felt like Apple was torn between wanting to reinvent the wheel every time a new decision came up, and going with a super-corporate, super-strict method that works in other companies, but not with the type of person that Apple has historically hired.

Advice to Management

My biggest piece of advice to management would be to not only solicit feedback from employees, but actually listen to it. Even if it costs a bit more money to implement the feedback, the benefit of happy employees will vastly increase their productivity, and decrease the turnover. In short, don't just pay lip service to employee feedback. Also, when making decisions that fundamentally alter peoples' lives, whether it be their day-to-day lives (such as their work schedule), or their lives as a whole (changing benefits, etc.), give people plenty of advanced warning. At least two months is needed for even fairly minor day-to-day life changes.

Other Employee Reviews for Apple

1. "Setup for success"

Current Employee - Data Analyst in Elk Grove, CA
    Current Employee - Data Analyst in Elk Grove, CA

Pros

The company is innovative, the corporate culture is amazing. You are truly setup for success when you start working there. I have found that management is open and ready to help.

Cons

Things can get stressful we're a company who releases new products constantly and you have to be up on the latest technology all the time.

Advice to Management

Getting my job at Apple made the day the last company I worked for laid me off the best day of my life.

2. "Cog in the wheel"

Former Employee - Named Accounts Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Named Accounts Manager in Austin, TX

Pros

Best benefits out there, the discount is pretty slick and hey, you work for Apple.

Cons

I worked retail at Best Buy and didn't feel so much as a cog as I did at Apple. In retail, you can progress quickly and do well and be recognised. At Apple Corporate, I knew people who'd been in the same middle-management job for 15 years. In a company growing at the rate of Apple, that's frightening.

Couple that with the compartmentalisation within Apple and it's hard to move around or up. People get too specialised and therefore, stuck.