Apple - Setup for success | Glassdoor

"Setup for success"

Current Employee - Data Analyst in Elk Grove, CA
Current Employee - Data Analyst in Elk Grove, CA

Pros

The company is innovative, the corporate culture is amazing. You are truly setup for success when you start working there. I have found that management is open and ready to help.

Cons

Things can get stressful we're a company who releases new products constantly and you have to be up on the latest technology all the time.

Advice to Management

Getting my job at Apple made the day the last company I worked for laid me off the best day of my life.

Other Employee Reviews for Apple

1. "Cog in the wheel"

Former Employee - Named Accounts Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Named Accounts Manager in Austin, TX

Pros

Best benefits out there, the discount is pretty slick and hey, you work for Apple.

Cons

I worked retail at Best Buy and didn't feel so much as a cog as I did at Apple. In retail, you can progress quickly and do well and be recognised. At Apple Corporate, I knew people who'd been in the same middle-management job for 15 years. In a company growing at the rate of Apple, that's frightening.

Couple that with the compartmentalisation within Apple and it's hard to move around or up. People get too specialised and therefore, stuck.

"I learned quite a bit of information and how to talk to people, but raises and promotions after 3 were next to nothing."

Former Employee - Mac Specialist (Apple Store) in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Mac Specialist (Apple Store) in Louisville, KY

Pros

People seem to respect the fact that you work for Apple. Apple trains its employees how to communicate well with people. Diverse people to work with. Decent discounts, not great! Health insurance is decent. Guaranteed 15min breaks and lunches. They used to work really well with Part-time employee scheduling, but right before I left they were cracking down on wanting employees to work more without added benefits. On launch days, food and drink was provided for staff.

Cons

Even though I had a very high percentage of sales in certain areas and they gave me praise I never got promoted. One reason stated by a manager was that I was doing to well in the area that I was in so and they couldn't afford to lose me to another area of the store, ie. Genius. I then asked for a raise and only annual raises are given...A mere .45 cents. Work almost full-time hours without the full-time pay or benefits. For a company that is the most profitable in the world, you would think they would kick back a bit more for their employees.

Apple needs to figure out a better way to get the message across to customers on how the store operates. I spent so much time getting yelled at by unsatisfied customers because they didn't know they were suppose to check in or where to purchase an item. They greatly need to increase the staff for the amount of traffic each store receives on a daily basis. This understaffing lead to many unsatisfied customers taking it out on employees which in turn make for a very trying day, which turns into every work day.

Advice to Management

Don't hire people off the streets when someone has been working in the store and is qualified for the position/promotion. Promote with-in when employees are performing to above satisfactory expectations. Learn how to keep the staff happy. When morale goes down people tend to hate their job and look elsewhere. Our particular store lost about 20 people in 2 weeks and 2 months later had lost aprx. 35-40 people total. That is a sign of bad management!