Apple - I learned quite a bit of information and how to talk to people, but raises and promotions after 3 were next to nothing. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Apple

"I learned quite a bit of information and how to talk to people, but raises and promotions after 3 were next to nothing."

Former Employee - Mac Specialist (Apple Store) in Louisville, KY
Former Employee - Mac Specialist (Apple Store) in Louisville, KY

Pros

People seem to respect the fact that you work for Apple. Apple trains its employees how to communicate well with people. Diverse people to work with. Decent discounts, not great! Health insurance is decent. Guaranteed 15min breaks and lunches. They used to work really well with Part-time employee scheduling, but right before I left they were cracking down on wanting employees to work more without added benefits. On launch days, food and drink was provided for staff.

Cons

Even though I had a very high percentage of sales in certain areas and they gave me praise I never got promoted. One reason stated by a manager was that I was doing to well in the area that I was in so and they couldn't afford to lose me to another area of the store, ie. Genius. I then asked for a raise and only annual raises are given...A mere .45 cents. Work almost full-time hours without the full-time pay or benefits. For a company that is the most profitable in the world, you would think they would kick back a bit more for their employees.

Apple needs to figure out a better way to get the message across to customers on how the store operates. I spent so much time getting yelled at by unsatisfied customers because they didn't know they were suppose to check in or where to purchase an item. They greatly need to increase the staff for the amount of traffic each store receives on a daily basis. This understaffing lead to many unsatisfied customers taking it out on employees which in turn make for a very trying day, which turns into every work day.

Advice to Management

Don't hire people off the streets when someone has been working in the store and is qualified for the position/promotion. Promote with-in when employees are performing to above satisfactory expectations. Learn how to keep the staff happy. When morale goes down people tend to hate their job and look elsewhere. Our particular store lost about 20 people in 2 weeks and 2 months later had lost aprx. 35-40 people total. That is a sign of bad management!

Other Employee Reviews for Apple

"All employees are over-qualified and stuck working there, due to Apple's hiring process based on personality."

Current Employee - Mac Specialist (Apple Store) in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Mac Specialist (Apple Store) in Dallas, TX

Pros

It is a prestigious place to work because the best personalities are hired on.

Cons

Retail hierarchy, the corporation holding a carrot in front of your nose incessantly. Laughable wages, and even more bitingly hilarious system for raises.(not based on individual performance and is only once a year. Best wage increase being $.50-$.75 to hope for.)

Advice to Management

It is actually impossible to be promoted to management as a Specialist because all the hiring is done based on personality. Managers have entirely different personalites as Specialists, so a Specialist could never aspire towards it; one cannot change their own personallity.

2. "Great Culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

Pros

Flexible, Great Culture, Decent Retail Pay, Above Average Benefits, Exciting Job

Cons

Depends on management and location of experience. Promotions are mostly laterale without pay raise.

Advice to Management

Focus on how to promote growth within your employees.