Apple - Great corporate benefits, but the same Call Center position like anywhere else | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Apple

"Great corporate benefits, but the same Call Center position like anywhere else"

Former Employee - At-Home Advisor - College Program
Former Employee - At-Home Advisor - College Program

Pros

-Benefits: I was a part of the College Program, so we worked 20 hours minimum and still get good benefits because we are under Corporate
-Work at home. Yes, we do work out of home, although that is a bit of a con as well.
-Apple Brand Name: except when you say you work for Tech Support.

Cons

- Pay: really low compared to industry standards, no negotiation regardless of experience - $10/hour range. I took it as I wanted to gain experience and thought very highly of Apple
- Hours: they say its "flexible" but in reality its not. They work around your school schedule but otherwise you might get 6AM shift one day and a 9PM shift the next, can really mess your life up.
- Management: MICROMANAGED to the extreme. Your computer screen is monitored, you keep a log everytime you get up to use the restroom, basically like a typical call center from home.
- Customers: its not the Tech Savvy young people who call you, its the less experienced crowd who does not know the difference between a Mac and a PC, or how to turn on the phone, etc. You will get yelled at because you can't provide free support, you also have to sell AppleCare packages every month to hit your quota (yep, phone sales!)
- Technology: You get an iMac to use at home, the soft phone and iLog (call logging system) breaks most of the time. You have to log everytime an error happens if you miss one your Manager would just blame you..
- WORK LIFE BALANCE + HEALTH: be warned, if you occur 3 sick days in 6 months, you are OUT. Yes, you get fired for occurring 3 "incidences" - which includes seeing doctor, if you're sick, or just need PTO. Vacation gets approved half the time if you plan really early, but only in certain months like October or Feb.

Advice to Management

-Have all the managers get on the phones too and actually experience it. They manage and critique you at every turn. At one point we had people called "Time Cops" who just trolls you (yes, that is the best way to describe it) by chatting you if you spend even 1 minute over between each call that we are supposed to log notes. This job is great for those who respect Apple to the point they are willing to be stepped on. Even a company as dynamic as Apple can't have dream jobs at a call center. I have finished school since, quit this job before my 1 year contract, and moved on to a full-time position.

Again, this is just for students considering the "Call Center" position they call an "Advisor". I am sure the REAL jobs at HQ or even Retail is better, if not a dream job for many out there. Just my experience strictly in this position! :)

Other Employee Reviews for Apple

1. "overly positive with limited possibilities to progress"

Current Employee - Specialist in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Specialist in London, England (UK)

Pros

unforgettable retail experience, chance to learn top of the range retail solutions, very creative environment

Cons

long hours, irregular schedule, most managers coming from either Gap or Satrbucks;

Advice to Management

invest more time in training and career development

"An Awful Experience"

Former Employee - Mac Specialist (Apple Store)
    Former Employee - Mac Specialist (Apple Store)

Pros

Decent pay for retail.
    Its fun to play with Apple products all day.
    Decent Discount.
    Okay benefits.
    Most co-workers are pretty cool to work with.

Cons

Terrible management.
    No flexibility in scheduling.
    No work/life balance - You must be in Apple mode 100% of the time.
    Secrecy.
    Low pay for what you do.
    Micromanaged - You're recorded on every sale and if you don't sell enough of something, you get a talking to.
    No room for advancement.
    Some pretentious co-workers.

Advice to Management

Apple management doesn't need to care.. Theres plenty of drones wanting to get into Apple, only for them to be spit back out again.