Apple - Incredibly reliable | Glassdoor

"Incredibly reliable"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Cupertino, CA
Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Cupertino, CA

Pros

It is just a really fun place to work where you get to use and sell the latest and greatest consumer technology of any company in the world. You get to sell product that are genuine and that you know are the best of their kind. Everyone uses a handheld cash register to ring people up on the spot. Just about everyone you work with is extremely friendly. There is an energy in the store unlike anything I have ever seen, like everyone is just so happy to be there, employees and customers alike. There are always customers bustling in and out of the stores, sometimes to many to handle, but you never feel intimidated. You actually feel like you can help everyone in the store with what they need. There is no commission, which is a good thing for three reasons. First, so there is no competition between you and other employees, everyone works together to answer the customer's questions and get them what they need. Second, you don't have to be pushy when trying to sell a customer something, which allows you to almost build a relationship with the customer. There are various customers who will come in now and say, "Hey, how are you doing? How's your family? I'm doing great, my Mac runs wonderful." Third, there are no goals to meet every week or month. Sure, you try to do your best, but you are not going to go home hungry or get reprimanded if you don't, which is so nice, and lets us be laid back and casual while still being productive.

Cons

If you are hired at, lets say $10 an hour, six months later, another employee can be hired at $10.50 an hour for the exact same position, and you won't get a raise because of that. Basically the person with less experience will get paid more just for getting hired later. When you argue with the higher management, they will deny it even happening, even if you show them your pay rate against another person's pay rate. Also, you would think that because one works for Apple, one would know when new products are going to come out before the public. Sadly, no. Apple runs around employees with the same amount of secrecy as it does with the general public. And a major turnoff is we as employees are not allowed to speculate at all about possible future Apple products and software. If you do, you face getting fired.

Advice to Management

Senior Management needs to stop being so transparent. When a decision is made, they don't even have an opinion about it. They just follow orders like a brainless Nazi. e.g.: We ring everybody up with handheld registers, and there are no signs to tell people of this. So people wander aimlessly, some get angry, some get frustrated and leave. My natural first instinct is, "Oh, put up a sign that says what to do." Upper management will say, "We have to do what Apple tell us to do." I'll say, "But don't you think that's dumb not to have any signs. If I was a customer, I would want signs to tell me where I have to go." Upper management stiffly says, "Apple tells us what to do, we have to do it." I say, "Yes, but don't you have an opinion in the matter?" Management says, "No, I don't get paid to have an opinion, I have to follow what Apple tells me." Other than that, the management is very friendly and awesome.

Other Employee Reviews for Apple

1. "Apple store will pay you more than any other store in the mall."

Current Employee - Mac Specialist (Apple Store) in Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Mac Specialist (Apple Store) in Burlington, MA

Pros

Apples compensation plan is by far one of the highest in retail.After working retail for over 3 years, and finding apple, I am already extremely satisfied. The add-ons as a specialist are part of job and its the same as all retail, push the product to the customers. Apple puts its people right after its customers, which is very rare. They ask you how you think the company is doing once a quarter with a survey. They also provide a great discount plan!

Cons

Apple is very demanding and the customers are very needy. You need to be extremely patient and be able to deal with difficult people on a daily basis.

Advice to Management

Communicate my successes better to me and congratulate a job well done.

"I needed 100 words in these categories."

Current Employee - Accounts Payable Specialist in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Accounts Payable Specialist in Austin, TX

Pros

There is no dress code, you can wear jeans and t-shirts and flip flops every day. Even my manager does this. Each employee is given a free apple every day by the cafeteria. This is the health plan for the temporary employees, which is more than what most companies offer to their temporary employees. There are frequent keg parties and off-site parties for various departments, and I am told by the permanent employees that they are very fun. So if you'd like a permanent job, that would be a perk. Also, you get a very shiny Mac to use at your desk.

Cons

You have to use a Mac, not a PC. There is no right click button on the mouse, so you have to do a lot more work to get the same result a lot of times. The lack of dress code means some people come to work straight from the gym, so it can get a little smelly in the afternoons. And it is very very hard to keep your Mac shiny and pretty, especially when you have been kicking it all day for freezing every time you try to save something in Excel. Fortunately, the company does provide cleaners for this purpose.

Advice to Management

They dress very nicely, so maybe they should wear sweat pants every now and then to fit in with the rest of us. It builds team morale.