Apple - Apple Genius | Glassdoor

"Apple Genius"

Current Employee - Genius in Pasadena, CA
Current Employee - Genius in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Apple full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good teamwork, everyone is like a family.

Cons

Can get very competitive when it's time for sales.

Advice to Management

Sometimes you need to give the employees a bit of leeway to learn. My particular manager was not very lenient at all and expected too much out of an employee resulting in 2 members leaving.

Other Employee Reviews for Apple

"Great experience, horrible salary"

Former Employee - Mac Specialist (Apple Store) in Albany, NY
    Former Employee - Mac Specialist (Apple Store) in Albany, NY

I worked at Apple full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Your colleagues are energetic and fun, the work is demanding but fun, and they give you great experience and training

Cons

The salary is too low to be able to support yourself without another job, and the hours are incredibly long

"Overlooked, underpaid, unappreciated""

Former Contractor - Advisor, IOS in Austin, TX
    Former Contractor - Advisor, IOS in Austin, TX

I worked at Apple as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

The company name shines on a resume when you get the good sense to leave Apple and look for a better company to work for. Cafe has an excellent menu...if you're lucky enough to get a shift that allows you to use it.

Cons

Extremely political. Very hypocritical. They feed you infomercial-esque information during the initial training that makes you think anyone excelling at their job will be recognized and "badged" by Apple. Simply not true. If you don't suck up to management, if you don't put in tons of overtime (some of us have families and don't need or want the extra money), or if you're a genuine "working guy" that goes in, does his job, and leaves the party atmosphere to the kids, you get overlooked, ignored, and discriminated against. I had the best metrics on my entire team, including AHT (average handle time) and CSAT (customer satisfaction ratings), yet each time I applied for an internal position with Apple, I was turned down with no reason given. I blame it on the fact that I'm a 50-year old adult who believes in going to work, doing your job, and going home; I never engaged in their Nerf-gun shootouts, their beer-fests (on company time), and didn't spend my entire day in the "group chats" typing "LOL" at other peoples' comments. I was hired to do a job, and I did my job. I did it well. When I walked away—yes, believe it or not, I actually QUIT Apple!—they lost one of the most loyal employees they ever COULD HAVE had. It was their loss; not mine.

Advice to Management

Quit punishing guys who have developed a genuine work ethic over the years that we've been in the public workplace. You hired us to do a job, but you're punishing us for doing what we THOUGHT was expected of us.

Say what you mean, and mean what you say. The "training" for an iOS Advisor is just as much infomercial for Apple as it is "training"; if we're good at our jobs—and have the metrics and data to back up that belief—recognize us. Don't ignore us; don't tell us what we're doing wrong, and don't shove us into some back corner somewhere where we'll never get seen or recognized.

Share the wealth. The pay is almost laughable for what your front line Advisors have to put up with on a daily basis.

Recognize people who really do an outstanding job. Those who are sub-par, give them the coaching they may need (or want, but are afraid to ask for), but the ones who truly make Apple shine to your customers, give them the recognition they deserve.

Stop your blatant age discrimination. Just because a guy comes in and doesn't participate in your silly "less work, more play" atmosphere doesn't mean he's not a valuable employee. Some of us ENJOYED making Apple shine because we believed in you, not because we were getting paid for it.