Apple - Being a manager can be like working in a mad house | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Apple

"Being a manager can be like working in a mad house"

Former Employee - Software Engineering Manager in Cupertino, CA
Former Employee - Software Engineering Manager in Cupertino, CA

I worked at Apple full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very smart people, 95% of them super dedicated to the company. Amazing products that the world loves. Feels great to work someplace where you can be so proud of what you are creating and under such a recognizable brand. People are pushing technologies not for the latest fad but for rational reasons.

I loved, loved, loved working with so many smart engineers who knew their stuff, and who demanded the best from others.

Campus has a great energy, food and other benefits are great.

Cons

There are some sociopathic managers at this company who I observed trying to manipulate others just for the pleasure of cruelty. There are some deeply insecure managers holding grudges and trying to get revenge for perceived slights. Honestly, the politics of this place were overwhelming to me. Maybe only 20% of the managers were what I would call "sick minds", the rest were honest and sincere, but it was too much for me. I can't play those sorts of games and I had to get out. Sometimes you don't even know that you are playing a game until afterwards.

This is an old company and has a lot of legacy code around. Being innovative often means ignoring glaring problems that have been around for 5 - 10 years. That is kind of painful if you care about quality.

I saw some happy managers and I concluded in the end that it was luck of the draw. If you got thrown into the lion pit you might escape or might get torn to shreds. Some managers never got thrown into the lion pit and were able to do well, so if you are considering working there you may get lucky. No one is going to help you out, though.

Definitely better to be an engineer than a manager at Apple, IMO.

Advice to Management

Keep cleaning house.

Tim Cook recently fired one famous sociopath, who was taking credit for others' achievements and attacking others for perceived slights. I never had to work with him directly, but he is a good proxy for others I'd prefer to not name. But it made me very happy to see that Tim Cook is cleaning house a bit. I think Apple will improve by getting rid of the insecure and machiavellian ladder climbers.

Apple is awesome because it is one company. Don't tolerate the silo makers.

Other Employee Reviews for Apple

"Decent pay, no work-life balance"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at Apple full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you were there 5 years ago, you're now rich

Cons

If you're there now, you're being overworked and not getting the stock appreciation the old-timers got

Advice to Management

Stop working people to exhaustion

2. "Retail experience unlike any other."

Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Washington, DC

I worked at Apple part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly environment
    No pressure to "just sell" (paid hourly)
    Working with good people
    Decent pay
    great experience
    very rewarding benefits

Cons

Very long hours for students
    not great for part time workers
    no seasonal working set ups available
    sometimes early or late hours for students