Apple - Positive, but demanding | Glassdoor

"Positive, but demanding"

Current Employee - At-Home Advisor in Salt Lake City, UT
Current Employee - At-Home Advisor in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Apple part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits for an entry level, understanding management, and potential for advancement.

Cons

Rigid corporate environment, little to no information given on future product information and training on those is spotty.

Advice to Management

Be a little more flexible on hours and information.

Other Employee Reviews for Apple

1. "Grueling pace but an outstanding experience with a company that treats you better than any other retail company will."

Former Employee - Family Room Specialist in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Family Room Specialist in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Apple part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the best benefits available in a retail job.

Cons

Still very much a retail environment.

Advice to Management

more hugs

2. "High quality of work, very fast paced"

I have been working at Apple full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- In general, almost everyone I've worked with is much smarter than an average employee at some other company.
    - Great beer bashes with awesome free food
    - Caffe macs, although not free, serves amazing gourmet quality good. The only problem is, I've gained a lot of weight!
    - Tons of work around...wide exposure to lots of IT systems. I've learned SO much in the past couple of years here and I continue to learn something new everyday.
    - People love to innovate and find creative solutions to everyday problems, however small.
    - Nothing but high quality of work is expected
    - Small teams. So you have a bigger chance to get noticed for your work. The only problem is, everybody is a rock star.
    - Good opportunities to take job related training - my manager always encourages me to take as many related courses as I want. The difficult part is taking the time out to do this.
    - Fair performance review process + cash bonus + RSUs.

Cons

- People who've done their time at Apple (read: Older employees) seem more laid back compared to the more recent hires/younger blood. This causes bottlenecks in projects which are extremely fast moving and need juggling of multiple priorities at the same time
    - NO WORK LIFE BALANCE. I regularly work 50-60 hours per week. The sad thing is, the more you work, the more people expect from you and the more you work. If you treat it just like a job, you might stick around, but you'll be passed on when the good projects come in. You need to decide what type of career you want - you can't do 40 hours AND shine at work at the same time.
    - High burnout rate. I find myself short of patience many times just because there's always too much to do.
    - Base salary is not that good, but more than compensated for in the form of cash bonus, RSUs, 401k

Advice to Management

- Don't let us burn out. Balance the work across the team and don't just burden 1-2 people who are willing to work longer hours. It's not going to work long term if your best employees end up changing teams, or worse, leaving Apple.