Apple - Apple Stores seem to be loosing their sole | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Apple

"Apple Stores seem to be loosing their sole"

Former Employee - Family Room Specialist in Houston, TX
Former Employee - Family Room Specialist in Houston, TX

I worked at Apple full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Unique environment. some people are very pasionate about the brand and teaching and educating prospective buyers in order for them to get the most out of their devices and ultimately themselves

Cons

Middle management is so concerned about the stores being "profitable" they are loosing what made Apple Stores special. Stop hiring employees from the competition (Best Buy), the cultures are not the same.

Advice to Management

Be yourselves, dont loose what make Apple Store the envy of all other retail companies

Other Employee Reviews for Apple

"Hands down the best company to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at Apple full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Have a direct impact on the products that people use everyday. Being able to work with some of the smartest engineers in the world.

Cons

Work/Life balance. But I knew that coming to Cupertino was not going to be a cake walk.

Advice to Management

Don't change a thing. Right now its working.

2. "Not for everyone"

Former Employee - Family Room Specialist in Minnetonka, MN
    Former Employee - Family Room Specialist in Minnetonka, MN

I worked at Apple part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pays well, great coworkers, good benefits, lots of learning

Cons

High stress, angry people, very demanding, noisy

Advice to Management

about the products, as well as myself. I was a Family Room Specialist, which translates roughly to a "Genius" of only the mobile devices. I would take appointments all day and try and repair customer's devices (as well as their attitude about it).

My review is for my position only. I can't speak for people of the other positions. But some things carried over consistently for everyone.

PROS:
    First of all, it pays well for a retail job. All medical benefits are included, even if you're part-time. That's great because you'll be working with A LOT of people and thus tons of germs.

The team is amazing. I have never worked with such a tight-knit group in my life. You can depend on your coworkers for pretty much anything, and they'll be there for you. Apple hires very intelligent, dependable people with great personalities and it shows. You are almost guaranteed to make life-long friends there.

Management is decent and does try to care about your stress level, mental health, and work/life balance as much as possible. They can't take a ton of interest in you considering they have over 100 employees at any one store, but they try very hard to get to know you and talk with you about your goals.

You'll learn a ton about the products. Training is a couple weeks long and you'll never stop learning little bits and pieces. The workers are very smart and you will always learn something from someone during the day.

CONS

The customers. Not all are bad. Most are neutral, but for the most part, you WILL be the brunt of everyone's bad day, bad attitude, or bad personality. You will learn very quickly that customers are complete a**holes who are entitled to everything. There are good ones out there who actually treat you like a human being, but it is very rare. For the most part, you are dealing with people who are already frustrated with their devices and right away you're at a disadvantage with them. You will try your hardest to help them and ease their nerves, but sometimes it gets out of control. I've been sworn at, stormed out on, insulted, and just plain disrespected. I've had customers threaten to shoot themselves in the face because their contacts disappeared. This is no joke. People are very emotional about their phones. It becomes ridiculous. And it gets old REALLY fast. It's draining. You're not a technician, you're a psychologist.

The store is a complete madhouse with noise levels well above normal almost all the time. You will have people at your back consistently and will have to dodge tons of people just to get to the back room. I am claustrophobic and so I did not do well in this environment. The customers even complain that it's "crazy" and "too loud." You have to raise your voice to even be heard by people standing two feet from you.

There's really no where to go promotion-wise. The stores have only a handful of positions, and none of them are conducive to growth. If you don't want to become a Mac genius or a manager, there's really nowhere to go. It's very dead-end and even those at the top agree with that.

OVERALL

Some people really thrive in that environment and were there for years. I couldn't wait to get out. Most workers are trying to get out too. If you can handle high stress, lots of angry people, and noise, by all means, go for it.