Apple - Great company to work for, with very limited upward mobility | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Apple

"Great company to work for, with very limited upward mobility"

Former Employee - Mac Specialist (Apple Store) in Bethesda, MD
Former Employee - Mac Specialist (Apple Store) in Bethesda, MD

I worked at Apple full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is a great work environment with a great team. You get to sell incredible products to other people that are passionate about them, and you aren't paid on commission. This allows brutal honesty, and also a high level of trust between sales person and the customer. Apple really emphasizes the customer experience, and wants to treat every customer as if they were in a 5 star hotel.

Cons

The store was always incredibly busy, and frequently understaffed. It was a generally stressful environment, but being that the team was so close, it really wasn't that bad. The worst part about this job is that they force feed you the Apple Kool Aid, which in and of itself I am not opposed to. I love Apple, I love their ideals, and I love their products. However, the unfortunate consequence is that every person there is basically a die hard Apple employee, and many of them believe if you stay long enough you will move high up in the food chain. After 2-3 years, you realize you won't. I had some friends that were around 4-5 years in my store, and they were incredible people...fantastic with customers, knowledgable about every aspect of the business, and constant over performers. However, at some point they realized...wow, there really isn't anywhere to go. Apple frequently hires store managers from other chains (like Gap, Starbucks, Banana Republic), and infrequently promote directly within. It is a great place to work, but there is a VERY large ceiling there that is virtually impossible to break through without leaving and working elsewhere for experience first.

Advice to Management

I think in general the team is great, but as is always stressed in the consumer side, I think you need to manage the expectations of your employees better. Yes their is some mobility in terms of roles within the store, but you have to be more upfront and honest with talented employees about the likelihood of legitimate career sustaining advancement.

Other Employee Reviews for Apple

1. "Specialist at Apple"

Current Employee - Specialist
    Current Employee - Specialist

I have been working at Apple part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Flexible schedule: If you work part time, it is easy to have flexible schedule
    -Learn a lot: there is a lot of training going on all the time.

Cons

-Very busy environment: sometimes you just get tired of people all day long.
    -The pay could be better given that they dont pay commission.

2. "This is the best retail job available."

Current Employee - Mac Specialist (Apple Store) in Cherry Hill, NJ
    Current Employee - Mac Specialist (Apple Store) in Cherry Hill, NJ

I have been working at Apple part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people and products.
    Sincere employee development.
    Constant workplace improvements for external and internal customers.
    Knowledgeable staff to supplement your abilities.
    Caring leadership.
    Great products.
    Low pressure environment.

Cons

High store traffic.
    Constant changes to products/services which is also can be a good thing

Advice to Management

Maintain constant communication and transparency to optimize workplace efficiency.