Apple - Steve Jobs Dictatorial Style Trickles Down | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Apple

"Steve Jobs Dictatorial Style Trickles Down"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Pros

It's great for the resume. Better still, it's a great way to meet lots of people who will ultimately move around within the industry -- an excellent way to build a professional network. In addition, you will have lots of opportunity to practice working in a somewhat chaotic, but often creative workplace, and to benefit from the genius of Steve Jobs.

Cons

It is essentially a dictatorship, and not a benevolent one. At the exec level, the leadership style is unequivocally domineering and unforgiving -- driven by fear of Steve. And many of them are just plain mean. Lower-level managers have very little control; they may be nice, but they're often irrelevant.

Advice to Management

Learn to be leaders. Set people up to succeed. Give them the direction and the parameters for success (not micro-management or correction). Develop plans and stick to them, and help your teams work to the plan. Develop confidence in your own leadership capabilities and your own intelligence, so you don't have to operate in fear of Steve.

Other Employee Reviews for Apple

1. "Great company to work for the rest of your life."

Current Employee - Software QA Engineer in Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Software QA Engineer in Cupertino, CA

Pros

Apple has continued to go out of it's way to see that I not only excel in my current role, but they facilitate my education and future roles. My previous work is always appreciated and I they look for me to be a leader among my peers. They call upon my experiences and ask me to present on topics that I'm more familiar with than my other colleagues. They allow me to work the hours that are most appropriate for me and allow me to be flexible with those hours, coming into the office around 11 am and working until 7, 8 or 9 pm. It is a blessing to have such a generous employer.

Cons

The pay is slightly below what other technology groups are paying, but the benefit of having job security makes up for that. Sometimes I wish that we had the free meals like Google and that we could spend so many hours a week working on our own 'pet' projects, but I can totally understand Apple's reasoning against such thought. The secrecy thing is also kind of a downside. Unless you're directly involved in an upcoming product, you know nothing until the absolute last moment. This can make things really difficult when it comes to working on related products. It also leaves a lot of us feeling as though we can't be trusted.

Advice to Management

Think about paying your employees just a little more. Maybe tone down the internal secrecy just a bit.

2. "Apple is the best thing that has happened to me career wise."

Current Employee - Genius Support Staff in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Genius Support Staff in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Apple is a large company with large stores, but the feeling of working in the store is not like a business, it is like working with family. The co-workers are friendly and it is always sad when one leaves, like loosing a brother.

Cons

The only downside is the occasional customer who makes life difficult by making a scene, but the management quickly and calmly helps the customer cool down, and helps everytime.

Advice to Management

Keep up the feeling of family, it is a great feeling.