Apple - Proud to work here | Glassdoor

"Proud to work here"

Current Employee - Software Engineering Manager in Cupertino, CA

I have been working at Apple full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You may get to work on the number one feature, on the number one product, from the number one company in the world. Processes in place for risk management are excellent. Everyone shares a common goal to make the best products for the consumer, and it shows in most every conversation you have. Plenty of smart people to learn from. All your friends and family know about your company and the products you helped create.

Cons

- Some of the higher-ups are just Apple dinosaurs who have been promoted over time for what appears to be loyalty and relationships alone. Quite a few don't have the capability to understand what they are managing and regularly make poor decisions. Engineering is the only profession I know of where this disconnect can be so vast... ever heard of a chief of staff at a hospital who wasn't a physician? - Managers can... manage with an iron fist due to the legacy of Steve Jobs and for some, he the only management role model they have. Works if you are him and CEO, not so much if you're director level. Lately this is being improved upon with frequent re-orgs. - People keep saying how everyone is an "A" player, but this isn't really true. Have worked with smarter people elsewhere. - No opportunity to publicly discuss your work, or get involved with academic research - Secrecy can get in the way

Advice to Management

Open up the information flow a bit (or a lot) more internally. Seems like the press generally knows what's coming anyway. Allow for richer external working relationships. Focus on finding better middle-to-upper level management talent.

Apple2013-10-23
  1. "Great Culture, Still Room for Improvement with Diversity"

Former Intern - Legal Intern

I worked at Apple for less than a year

Pros

Pay, Perks, Culture for Growth

Cons

I could see the diversity in their tech-specific fields but not so much in the other areas

Apple2019-09-15

"Challenging, Rewarding, but ZERO work/life balance. Most satisfying , most difficult and most rewarding job ever."

I have been working at Apple full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

We work with geniuses - in every department, We create innovative products that thrill our customers and create new product categories - who else can say that?

Cons

ZERO ZERO ZERO work/life balance. Execs have been saying for YEARS that they understand and will make it better. But in actuality, it gets worse every year! It is obviously top management LIP SERVICE because if they meant it, they could fix it tomorrow. They have hundreds of BILLIONS in the bank. If they REALLY cared about employee work/life balance, they could bring aboard the right number of folks... to make that issue dissolve. Sick of hearing the lies. Just don't lie about wanting to fix it, when they clearly DON'T care

Apple2014-08-29

Discover more reviews about Apple.