Apple - Apple can be a great place to work, be prepared to 'make your own way' and drive your career there. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Apple

"Apple can be a great place to work, be prepared to 'make your own way' and drive your career there."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Cupertino, CA
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Cupertino, CA

Pros

Great products, as sales person its wonderful to be able to represent the best, campus life is good (great food, beautiful surroundings, and the occasional party/fun activity at the main lawn). Compensation and overall benefits (matching 401K, stock purchase when the stock is rising :-)) are definitely competitive. Smart people and overall the company feels 'well run', they deliver great products somewhat on-time, they market these products well. Management seems relatively flat and so you can know/meet the top execs and that is cool.

Cons

There is this overall 'secrecy' feel that is weird - and I think it permeates many many aspects of the company from engineering to marketing to sales - so you are often wondering if you are supposed to know something and not talk about it, etc. and it makes for a sometimes uncomfortable environment. Not all mangers are great (some are egomaniacs intent on self-promotion and 'kissing up' and/or micromangers) and if one of them is your boss, bummer for you. Work hours can be significant (its not an HP 9-5 type of place to work).

Advice to Management

You've run an incredible company these last 8-10 years, congratulations, I'm awed. Perhaps have somewhat more consistent policy (across the entire company) for giving anonymous feedback on management so can hear feedback from those of us choking under bad middle/lower management.

Other Employee Reviews for Apple

1. "Ideal place to work: cutting-edge innovation, enthusiastic and capable colleagues, enlightened management."

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Cupertino, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Cupertino, CA

Pros

The work is cutting-edge, fast paced and interesting, my colleagues are enthusiastic and capable and management is really excellent: mentors and leaders, not tyrants or bureaucrats.

I noticed the difference in morale immediately when I first walked into the company. People looked relaxed and like they were having fun. Contrast with some of my previous companies where people were walking around with frozen faces or hunched over in cubicles; the atmosphere was like a labor camp. Give credit to the management at Apple: this high morale doesn't happen by accident. Managers here respect the engineers, and help them to get the job done. Questions are encouraged and ideas are rewarded. I've worked for enlightened managers in good teams in previous companies, but it never seemed to last: they lost out in the unending political infighting and they were soon replaced or their projects were disbanded. Here I see the exact opposite.

Cons

It makes me regret not having come here much earlier.

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what you're doing, I'm happy to come to work every day.

2. "Great work environment, but mediocre pay levels."

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Austin, TX

Pros

Good benefits, Employee Stock plan has done GREAT over the last few years, diverse workplace, fun people.

Cons

First level management is usually unqualified and just puppets to middle management. Usually not capable of asserting themselves when needed. Pay is average to below average compared to similar jobs with other companies. Moving up is difficult, but sideways is easy. Most people leave the company and then comeback for a promotion. Raises are mediocre when they happen, even when the company is beating records year after year and accumulating massed of wealth.

Advice to Management

If you want to keep employees happy, pass on some of the profit. We helped you achieve those record quarters YOY, but you keep the raises low. Ask for ideas via skip management reviews... IE: Let us express ideas occasionally without filtering via lower level management and I think you may find some hidden gems.