Apple - Very smart people, everything turned up to 11, including politics | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Apple

"Very smart people, everything turned up to 11, including politics"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Cupertino, CA
Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Cupertino, CA

I worked at Apple full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Most of the smartest co-workers I've ever worked with I met at Apple. Everybody is extremely driven and has ambitious goals, and the environment will increase most people's drive and make them more ambitious. Compensation is good. Opportunities to get promoted to leadership positions abound. In my experience, there was very little useless process, though product groups are rumored to be very rigid.

Cons

If you are not a manager, or working on iOS, you will almost certainly work in a cubicle in boring office space.

Everybody is perpetually on-call. Your boss will call you at 8-9PM on a Friday night to ask you a question. You will be expected to work some Saturdays/Sundays even if there's no production reason. The pain of this is slightly mitigated by the fact that you know that your boss's boss is doing the same to your boss. Sometimes it feels like you're being tested.

Bonuses are a big part of compensation, and it is easy for a manager to hide subjectivity in your performance review which potentially means getting paid a lot less for being liked less. Perks are minimal for the tech industry these days but fit with the "no-nonsense" budget attitude, and I didn't have such a problem with that.

Other Employee Reviews for Apple

1. "Great company, bad store"

Current Employee - Apple Retail Specialist in Nashua, NH
    Current Employee - Apple Retail Specialist in Nashua, NH

I have been working at Apple part-time (More than a year)

Pros

They really do offer areas to grow... Providing you're committing your whole life to the job.
    The coworkers at my own level really are fantastic and amazing people to work with.

Cons

No real life outside of work.
    As far as my store specifically went the management only really cared about numbers, they just wanted to be the number one store in the company in different categories.
    Not a "fun" place to work because you will always feel pressured to hit your metrics.
    I often felt as if talking to management was like pulling teeth if you weren't one of their favorite people that they were "buddy buddy" with, in other words if you weren't on their list good luck getting help.
    "assume positive intent" was a phrase always thrown around at employees but also never exercised by management.
    Resellers often took priority over the average consumer because they buy lots of products and money speaks.

Advice to Management

Stop trying to be number one and just be a fun place for unique individuals to come to enrich lives not just enrich your metrics.

2. "Great benefits, terrible job."

Former Employee - AppleCare T1 IOS in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - AppleCare T1 IOS in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Apple part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits. Fantastic company discounts.

Cons

AppleCare phone support. Awful job. Micromanaged to the minute; while this is generally the case with call centers, they don't do anything to make it more bearable. Your job consists of "convincing customer's that they are not really dissatisfied with bad policy and technical decisions by Apple."

Advice to Management

Timing how long and often I go to the bathroom is dehumanizing.