Apple - A solid money-making opportunity with a great atmosphere and awesome products. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Apple

"A solid money-making opportunity with a great atmosphere and awesome products."

Current Employee - Specialist in Cambridge, MA
Current Employee - Specialist in Cambridge, MA

Pros

Apple is innovative and hard-working. It not the easiest job but if your looking for challenge (which I was) and want to work with retail and technology there is no better company to work for. The benefits are great - even when you are part-time. No matter what position you work with the company there is always room for growth and everyone is one big happy family.

Apple spends lots of money, time and har-work into making Apple retail flawless. They have a special corporate team dedicated to making internal software that'll ease workflow for employees and customers.

Cons

The politics inside of Apples culture are a little bizarre. For example, when something is released and it is slightly wrong or people are unhappy with it the everyone in the company needs to be prepared to take one stance on the subject and hold onto that stance until Apple says other wise.

Advice to Management

Communication over RNN is great but, sometimes I feel as if I would like to be able to check my Apple webmail from home, even if I'm part-time. In my store there is a lot of communication through Apple webmail and I don't get that communication until I actually go to the store which is 1-2 times/week since I'm PT.

Other Employee Reviews for Apple

"Caring Employer, Chaotic Environment"

Former Employee - Specialist in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Specialist in New York, NY

Pros

Great company with nice benefits and comfortable salary. Constant communication with management, approachable and friendly. Great hiring standards. Smart, generous employees.

Cons

You're selling products at the height of their popularity; dealing with a lot of crazy policies and limitations that change every day. Along with a lot of crazy people. A lot of silly "lingo'' for a company that tries to "think differently.''

Advice to Management

I never received feedback at all from management about my own performance. Over the course of three months, I never met with a manager. We interfaced daily, but I never even knew if I was doing well with customers!

"Like any other big company"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Cupertino, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Cupertino, CA

Pros

- Nice perks
    - Super casual dress code
    - Really nice people and interpersonal culture
    - Can actually take accrued vacation without anyone complaining
    - Stock has been doing very well
    - Heavy marketing means you can impress everyone when you say where you work.

Cons

- Lots of weird managerial politics
    - Endless meetings to get anything done
    - Ridiculous amount of secrecy causes animosity between different teams and makes it take forever to get anything done unless it's high priority or "for Steve".
    - Waaayyyyy understaffed for software engineering in most departments, prepare to work lots of overtime.
    - Some senior engineers have been around for 20 or 30 years, no matter how out of touch they may be, they'll have a significant say in projects tangentially related to them.
    - Corollary: Don't be young.
    - Software engineering culture is fad driven (and we're talking weird Apple-only fads like GCD) on the desktop, rushed and buggy on embedded.

Advice to Management

Software design mimics the organization that creates it, by separating desktop and embedded development with such an insane amount of security checkpoints, you're ensuring that economies of scale and scope that could come from sharing embedded and desktop code will never happen no matter how much management tries to force it.

And getting caught between these two worlds is infinitely frustrating.