Applebee's - Operated by employee's not manager's | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Applebee's

"Operated by employee's not manager's"

Current Employee - Server At Applebees in Cameron Park, CA
Current Employee - Server At Applebees in Cameron Park, CA

I have been working at Applebee's part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Make decent money and easy to do.

Cons

Poorly run, lack of accountability, and focus

Advice to Management

Need to clean house of unprofessionalism and really see what's going on

Other Employee Reviews for Applebee's

1. "Fun job, yet upper management issues pervade the company"

Former Employee - Server in Frisco, TX
    Former Employee - Server in Frisco, TX

I worked at Applebee's full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice employees, mid level management is superb and encouraging. Decent pay.

Cons

No real training guidelines, they kind of just throw you out there. The upper management was horrid, created an awful hostile workplace focused on goals not necessarily related to any important facets of the business. My general manager was disrespectful towards employees regularly and harbored a very bad temper. The management above him were not personable, and very discouraging - often during visits to the locations they would not even acknowledge you - for example, I once said a simple "hi how are you" to one of the area directors, and he simply ignored me and walked away after clearly hearing me, how is that for professional at all..? Also, when it came to compensation, often the managers would do everything in their power in order to cut wages of the hourly employees, and did not offer much respect to them in that aspect. I also tried to reach their HR department to report hostile actions by one of the managers, and I was blatantly ignored. There is no real organization in this company, whether it be in making sure an employee knows what they are doing, or installing any type of procedure in which to handle a given issue - as most often you were expected to "wing it"

Advice to Management

I would advise that you focus on goals relevant towards the restaurant business such as increasing your customer base and offering them better service, as well as creating proper training procedures. Also - make management a more encouraging body, as currently they are what kept me away from keeping my job.

2. "Assistant Manager"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at Applebee's full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Well known company looks good on resume, good systems, good training, decent pay,

Cons

For an Assistant Manager there is no connection to the rest of the company, and company leaders don't "waste" their time with you, which made me feel very unappreciated. This feeling of inconsideration seemed to trickle down to the staff as well.

Advice to Management

Great place to get experience and learn. Not the type of place I would like to stay at forever, but you can move up relatively quickly compared to many other corporations