Appleton Talent - I have no significant complaints; Appleton is a great employer. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Appleton Talent

"I have no significant complaints; Appleton is a great employer."

Former Employee - Math, Physics, and ACT Tutor
Former Employee - Math, Physics, and ACT Tutor

Pros

Appleton Learning is unlike many tutoring companies in that they do not have predefined course work or curricula. They handle the job of finding clients, managing paperwork, collecting payments, scheduling, re-scheduling, etc., while the tutors are left in total control of the actual education side of the equation. They start you off with a few students, and if you do your work well, you get more work. If you do your work REALLY well, there are some opportunities for advancement within the company, such as becoming a "premier tutor" who commands higher rates. I was a private tutor for many years before I came to Appleton, and if you want to be a tutor without having to mess with such things as drumming up a clientele, handling cancellations and re-scheduling, and so on, this is the place for you. Just make sure you know your content area and how to teach it. Appleton prides itself on having top-notch tutors, and they will very quickly discover how good you really are.

Cons

If you want someone to hand you a book full of pre-written lessons and say "Here's what you will be teaching your student, no negotiation," then do not apply at Appleton. This may not be for you if you have never been a tutor. You will be generating your own lessons based on what you feel each specific child needs. This is not so much a "pro/con" issue as a simple heads-up.

Advice to Management

As you continue expanding, please don't change your method of operation. I think you're onto something big. I'm of the opinion that for the most part you get the respect you give, and I really think that the way you treat tutors is the best way to get the best talent on your side. Keep up the good work.

Other Employee Reviews for Appleton Talent

1. "You need to be patient to earn good money."

Current Employee - Tutor
    Current Employee - Tutor

Pros

convenient, flexible work hours, professional environment

Cons

with less tutors, more students

Advice to Management

Give more hours to your most trusted tutors, so you keep them motivated to continue teaching. Don't consider hiring more than you would need.

2. "Aide"

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Huntsville, AL
    Current Employee - Substitute Teacher in Huntsville, AL

I have been working at Appleton Talent (Less than a year)

Pros

Helpful staff and extremely flexible

Cons

Wish I could work all year long