Applied Materials - Headed in the right direction | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Applied Materials

"Headed in the right direction"

Former Employee - Senior Director in Austin, TX
Former Employee - Senior Director in Austin, TX

I worked at Applied Materials full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The acquisition of Gary Dickerson came with the acquisition of Varian. Gary brings a very focused and pragmatic style to AMAT which is refreshing after years of Mike Splinter's ego centric and random leadership (we are in the solar business - oops no we're not; let's buy an e- beam company so we can throw money down a rat hole; lets hire this executive so we can fire them 2 years later when they threaten my position) .

Look at the rise in stock price and Gary's leadership vs what the stock did during Splinter's Tenure
Splinter Came in in 2003 with the Stock trading in the $14-range. On September 17, 2013 it closed at $15.04
Since Dickerson took over the stock has climbed to above $20. I believe some if that is due to the to the merger with TEL, which will give AMAT more power in the marketplace and a lot of it is due to the market's perception that Dickerson is a stronger leader than Splinter

Cons

Management tends to be 95% type A's who shoot first and ask questions later, so competition is fierce. THe organization into product business units means an unusual matrix type of organization that makes authority unclear and requires careful management of the politics. Disputes often have to be resolved by the president or CEO but not until after reputations are tarnished or ruined by complaining

Advice to Management

Gary has things on the right track and is very practical. Seems to have eliminated most of Splinter's bad hires and promotions. Stock price is up which reflects the impact of Gary's leadership.

Other Employee Reviews for Applied Materials

"Cheap is the name of the game..."

Current Contractor - Systems Project Manager in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Contractor - Systems Project Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Applied Materials as a contractor (More than 10 years)

Pros

New CEO. New directions...

Cons

Constant threat of layoffs (RIF). No real management direction at the middle level, everyone is running scared and pointing fingers. This is not a collaborative environment, it's more of a reactive management style. If you're a contractor here, be ready to work for free. They're always trying to cut your pay and expecting more in return. Stay clear of this place if you're looking for a company that pays and value your contribution. NOT RECOMMENDED FOR ANY CONTRACTING WORK.

Advice to Management

Pay a little more to how you're cheating.... I mean treating your contractors. They are humans with families to feed and take care too.

2. "It's not too bad, especially if you land with the right team."

Current Employee - Process Engineer IV in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Process Engineer IV in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Applied Materials full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are good. Colleagues are great. Can't complain about the weather here.

Cons

Promotion hard to come by. Product development teams work a lot. More R&D being incorporated but slow integration.