Applied Minds - Interesting | Glassdoor

"Interesting"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA

Pros

Crazy place with crazy stuff. more monitors than you can shake a stick at. everyone is very smart. every one can work on just about anything.

Cons

often, management refuses to take the correct steps to employ the people who work there. the nda's are extremely tight, and so there is little room to publish.

Other Employee Reviews for Applied Minds

"An Amazing Collaborative Place"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glendale, CA

Pros

Leader in innovation, best and brightest group of people. Senior management legendary in achievements. Plenty of latitude given to be creative. Fast paced.

Cons

Long hours, impossible schedules but ultimately gratifying. Truly a challenge so if you are looking for a place to relax and ponder, this is not the place for you.

Advice to Management

Back office needs to be in better lockstep with operations and project management. Overall it works, but only with effort.

"Adaptability and Thick Skin Required."

Pros

After working here awhile there's quite a few good qualities this place has to offer. I've gotten to work with some extremely talented and bright individuals.. The projects are interesting and challenging, and I always find myself learning from those around me. This place is a great stepping stone to build your skills and experience and I feel like that's what a lot of people do here.

There are many management styles here. Some managers are very hands off. Some have too many ideas and only a fraction of those are what the project actually calls for. Some like to get things done quickly and efficiently. Overall I believe if you produce quality work and actually do your job your manager will go to bat for you so to speak. And hopefully, your work style cliques with your managers style. If not well, I hope you're adaptable. You need to be to survive here.

Opportunities for travel.

Dog friendly! Some days you really that puppy love.

Cons

Unfortunately there are a few downsides to working here as. One of which being budgets for projects. Projects frequently go over budget and you find yourself either cut off of what you were working on entirely, working on something you don't like/rather not be working on/not even in your job description, or strait up struggling to find work on any projects. Its not something you see a terrible lot of most of the year but years end is a pain in this regard.

Traveling for the job is....interesting. Sometimes things go from a quick trip to a better run to Walmart and buy clothes I'm going to be here a bit longer.......

I have to address HR. I fortunately haven't had to deal with our HR department very much at all but I have noticed that anonymous complaints don't tend to stay anonymous. I've also noticed if you're going to submit a complaint about someone who has been there a long time, don't expect anything to happen. They are there because they are talented and because the company has a hard enough time keeping employees as it is.

There are many different management styles there is a solid chance you wont be happy with how your manager does things. Hands off can be a problem. Incomprehensible emails you need to decode to do your job becomes time consuming until you get used to it. Panic and Stressed out becomes frustrating to deal with and get things done.
    I have good days and bad days with my manager. There are more good than bad but the bad can be extremely bad. There has only been one instance where I almost quit. Most days are really good, but those bad days are frustrating.

Advice to Management

Not just to management but advice to everyone there. Its good practice to check your egos at the door. This is a place of business. You are talented yes, you wouldn't be here otherwise. Let that bit stroke your ego and have a professional attitude toward your colleagues. Most people are really good about this, but a few of you need a reminder.